Sign in with
Your question

Help with i3 -2100 processor - need answer

Last response: in Systems
February 19, 2013 3:43:24 PM

Okay so I received my replacement i3 processor in the mail and I overlooked iy at first but there are 3 lines of waxy strips on the bottom of the cpu fan. Do I remove those? The first cpu I had burned but I'm not sure it's because of that or the cpu power connector not being in.

More about : 2100 processor answer

a b à CPUs
February 19, 2013 3:56:14 PM

Those strips are the thermal compound that transfers heat from your CPU to the heatsink to keep it cool. I wouldn't recommend removing them unless you plan on replacing them with a thermal compound of your own. Unless you plan on overclocking they will work fine. If your CPU power wasn't plugged in it would cause problems, not really burning out, but it def wouldn't work, so make sure your CPU power is plugged in.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2013 3:58:23 PM

those 3 lines is pre applied thermal paste its designed so you dont have to apply thermal paste to the cooler and just install it on the processor. if you remove the heatsink after that one time you have to clean both surfaces and apply thermal paste yourself

thermal paste is mean to aid heat transfer from the cpu to the heatsink
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2013 5:37:40 PM

So anyone know why a cpu fan wouldn't work?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2013 6:50:30 PM

technub said:
So anyone know why a cpu fan wouldn't work?

If it is plugged in, maybe its bad, try a couple of the different fan ports on your motherboard to be sure. If not, you can always pick one up at your local Computer store for less than 10 bucks.
m
l
February 19, 2013 11:27:50 PM

Okay the fan works in the system fan ports. I'm guessing the cpu fan port is bad. Is it okay if I leave it attached or does it need the cpu fan?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 138 à CPUs
February 19, 2013 11:28:59 PM

If you run the computer without the CPU heatsink fan it will fry in about a minute or so.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 138 à CPUs
February 19, 2013 11:31:13 PM

You should not use the heatsink fan connected to the system fan connector because the motherboard sets the cpu fan speed depending on the heat of the CPU. This cannot happen if you have it connected somewhere else.

Get a new motherboard.
m
l
February 20, 2013 12:35:34 AM

Okay so I'm returning the motherboard it seems
m
l
!