Compter won't turn on after troubleshooting - help

ranfx

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Ok bare with me since this is my first build. My system mysteriously wouldn’t turn on about a month ago.

I tested votages with a multieter on the psu. Every connection checks out and I can run an led fan off it just fine and can hear/feel the fan. PSU seems fine.

I checked the connection between the case power button and mobo - in my amateur opinion, it looked fine.

I tried the mobo power button - nothing.

I tried shorting the power burron pins on the mobo - still nothing.

So I figured it was a dead mobo right? So I go through the RMA for it and 3 weeks later ASRock sends me another one.

However… same exact problem. Nothing turns on, no fans, etc. Absolutly nothing.

I double checked the PSU and connections to the mobo. Supplemental and 24 pin. Everything seems fine. I’m not sure where to go from here. Please help, I’m getting desperate. I haven’t logged into Steam for weeks… getting withdrawl.

ranfx

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
specs: Intel Core i5-2500K
Corsair H60
ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3
Corsair Enthusiast 750w 80+ Bronze
Corsair Vengeance Blu 2x4gb 1600mHz DDR3
Gigabyte HD6950 1gb
Crucial 64 GB m4 ssd
WD 1.5TB 7200rpm sata 6gb
Cooler Master HAF 932

Xiceman007x

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
So, do you have another PC in the house you can swap parts out for testing? If so, the easiest and the one I personally would do first is the PSU... Maybe it's failing under a load, and just an LED fan isnt stressing it enough to make it fail?

Edit: Also can you describe the sequence of the events exactly from when you press the power button?

ranfx

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Thanks for the response!

Maybe it's failing under a load, and just an LED fan isnt stressing it enough to make it fail?

I don't have any spare parts, but I should be able to borrow a psu and try that.

Also can you describe the sequence of the events exactly from when you press the power button?

I'm not sure what you mean here. When everything is fully set up and I press the power button, nothing happens. I mean literally no response from anything. Then I looked at the case power button connection. Then I tried the mobo power button. Next tried shorting the mobo power button pins. Then I disconnected everything and tested the psu. Is there any more info I can give that would be helpful?

Xiceman007x

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
With all the info you have provided, and assuming the CPU is seated properly, I would definitely try the PSU first... Pretty much the easiest to do, and the least time consuming as well. After that, you could've gotten 2 bad mobo's in a row?? I highly doubt that... but maybe? If its not that PSU I'm not sure what else to tell ya man :(

Let us know if that PSU fixes it!