German Notebook Computers

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
My son is an American living in Germany. His old notebook computer died and he needs to buy a new one. In the US I would suggest he buy a new one at Fry's from Dell, HP or Lenovo for about $500. Perhaps Intel i5 CPU, 4GB memory, 15.6 inch screen, 500GB HDD...

What would be the similiar advice for Berlin in Euros? What are the top notebook manufacturers in Germany?

Best Regards,
A Yank
Houston, Texas

Solution
Check the link in my signature - there's more than a dozen stores in Germany that could be of interest. I hear good things about Hardware Versand and Mind Factory.
buy one in US as electronics in europe are more expensive
There is no german manufacturers, computer manufacturers distribute different models of their computers for different regions as german computers will use a different keyboard

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006

alvine,
Good advice. You are correct. It looks like German notebook PCs are priced about 13% higher than in the US. Unfortunately, he isn't traveling to the US any time soon.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006

COLGeek,
Good tip. I checked out amazon.de and hp.de to get a feel for what he might be dealing with.
Thanks

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
There are also several big name stores like bestbuy in germany. For example mediamarkt, saturn, conrad (this is where I bought most of my stuff when I lived in germany). As others have said though you can still order most of the stuff online from the usual retailers like dell, hp , lenovo and so on.

There's also rumors of an apple store coming to berlin this year (been under construction for a while).

Then there's the supermarket chain Aldi(yes I know sounds weird but eh different country different rules). They usually bring out a laptop once or twice at really competitive pricing and decent built quality and hardware. Their most recent one came out in January so chances are you won't find a bargain from them in a while.

AllTey

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Hey, I am a German, and I just ordered components for my own pc build from MindFactory. I don't have any experience with it, but I read a lot of good reviews about it. They sell at quite low prices if you use referrer links from a price comparison website (geizhals.de).

But I can recommend amazon.de as well. Personally, I would avoid MediaMarkt and Saturn since I find their products way overpriced. Aldi has a very low price for technology, but somehow I don't like their quality that much (good though, if you are at a low budget).

Unfortunately I am from the south of Germany, so I cannot quite recommend local shops in Berlin. I suppose an online purchase might be your best bet.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006

Thanks for the help.

My son isn't very technical (he's an English teacher). I like Amazon.de - but, I'm thinking he might get more help if he uses a local store in Berlin - in case there is a problem.