Sign in with
Your question

NEED HELP, INSTALLED MY NEW GPU BUT NOW I CANT DO ANYTHING!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2013 8:00:21 PM

Hey guys, well i got a new evga 660 sc and inserted it into my pc, i disabled all the drivers for my old gpu and even disabled it....anyway when i boot my computer everythign looks like its working but..the screen is blank, normally i have to boot from my boot menu but this doesnt come up all i get is a blank screen....

Pc specs:

motherboard: asus m5a78l-m usb3
cpu: amd phenom II x4 3.4ghz
ram: corsair vengeance
psu: storm 600w
gpu: evga 660 sc

I understand that its not that detailed but any help would be amazing!

More about : installed gpu

a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 8:14:13 PM

Hello... what was your previous video connection to? motherboard video or external/slot video card? what was brand and model?
January 2, 2013 8:28:47 PM

i have connected my old graphics card to a 32 inch sony tv
Related resources
January 2, 2013 8:32:09 PM

..... Did you uninstall the old drivers first? From your last GPU?
January 2, 2013 8:39:42 PM

yes i did, but now im back to using the old card as i haven't found a fix for the new card.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 8:50:00 PM

"I have disabled it"
does that mean you used i-gpu earlier or you have still not unplugged your old gpu from your mainboard?

also ensure that you completely uninstall your previous display drivers and not just simply disable it.
since you have no screen right now you have to unplug the 660 and return to the way it way before and than do as mentioned above.
you might also upgrade the mainboard BIOS first.
January 2, 2013 8:52:10 PM

at the moment im using my old graphics card so that i can use my computer, how do i update the bios of the motherboard? im nearly 100% sure when i had the 660 in my rig all the old drivers were gone.
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 8:57:34 PM

uninstall the current video card from the device manager. shut down. remove card. put new card in. make sure vga/dvi cable is hooked to video card. go into the BIOS on start up and disable the hybrid graphics. make sure the PEG or pci-e or auto is selected foe your video card. hit F10 and then ENTER to save. Machine will reboot.

Get to desktop?
January 2, 2013 9:01:09 PM

where would i find the hybrid or peg or pci-e or auto in the bios, sorry im kinda new?
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 9:10:02 PM

open the booklet that came with your motherboard. all should be explained there as well as some pictures to help you along.

take your time, read stuff 10 times over before you do anything. pay attention to the bottom of the screen when in the BIOS... even if you screw something up you can clear the cmos ( also in the booklet ) or pull and replace the battery......... both of these should and will set machine back to "stock".

ask questions, lots if you must. there are people here that will TRY and help you.......... but we can't see what's on the screen in front of you........ makes doing stuff over the net hard sometimes.
January 2, 2013 9:12:40 PM

ok well thanks man i will tell you how it goes!
January 2, 2013 9:29:11 PM

i looked through my bios and could not find hybrid graphics nor could i find ]eg, my asus bios is most probably different to yours :( 
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 9:52:01 PM

it's probably the legacy BIOS, so yes, some or all of that should be in there.

did you scan the booklet?
January 2, 2013 10:04:14 PM

Yes i did mate....i really dont know why its not working : /
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 10:26:03 PM

My money is on your no name PSU.
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 10:30:26 PM

when you were in the BIOS did you see anything that said "advanced".... up across the top?

if you click on that magic happens.

somewhere in the menus you might see something like onboard device config or peg link mode or any number of stuff you can click on to open up to get options. if you don't do this you
're stuck where you are.

there is something there. you just haven't found it yet.
January 2, 2013 10:34:05 PM

If you have the OEM version of Windows, like one that came with a manufacturer computer, you won't be able to swap out major parts, as the OS thinks it is being loaded onto a different computer. Piracy-preventing, sorta.
Do you get the initial Windows splash?
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 10:41:59 PM

Vista used to be that way. now I think there's more trouble with a drastic change in motherboards.........
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 10:44:35 PM

The Indomitable said:
If you have the OEM version of Windows, like one that came with a manufacturer computer, you won't be able to swap out major parts, as the OS thinks it is being loaded onto a different computer. Piracy-preventing, sorta.
Do you get the initial Windows splash?

That is only true for the motherboard. You can replace every other component.
January 2, 2013 11:20:08 PM

Not necessarily. I tried replacing my old (proprietary) PSU in a Gateway with a Silencer MKII 750W, and it would only let me boot up into Safe Mode. Which is the sole reason I'm building a whole new comp instead of just replacing GPU and PSU
This is with Windows 7 by the way.
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 2:59:25 AM

The Indomitable said:
Not necessarily. I tried replacing my old (proprietary) PSU in a Gateway with a Silencer MKII 750W, and it would only let me boot up into Safe Mode. Which is the sole reason I'm building a whole new comp instead of just replacing GPU and PSU
This is with Windows 7 by the way.

That has absolutely nothing to do with validating an OEM copy of Windows. Only being able to boot into safe mode after installing a power supply means you have something else going on, like additional failing hardware.

There is nothing more irritating than misinformation. It has gotten extremely bad on here recently....
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 3:04:54 AM

louismcmanus said:
i have a proper version of windows 7 so thats all good, on my bios i have advanced...it looks like this http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N...

I'm going to say this one last time. Your power supply is most likely the issue. Test with a friend's power supply or grab a multimeter and test the one you have. Unless the graphics card is DOA (unlikely), the most obvious issue is with your generic power supply. I guarantee your 12V rail is out of spec with that graphics card connected.
January 3, 2013 5:00:28 AM

Go on Google and type " [your motherboard name goes here] BiOS (or) drivers "
January 3, 2013 3:00:50 PM

im about to buy a new psu, are you guys sure its because of my 600wat no name psu?
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 3:18:58 PM

how are you hooking this new card to your TV?
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 5:21:53 PM

go into the TV's control panel and make sure the HDMI cable that is hooked to it is seen by the tv.

my "cable" is hooked to HDMI 1........... my computer is hooked to HDMI 4. So I make sure the TV is set to HDMI-4 when I run the pc on it.
January 3, 2013 6:21:12 PM

yeh, it notices it, im 100% its not a problem like that mate, i think it may be the psu?
im going to buy a new one, do you think that could be the problem?
January 3, 2013 6:23:23 PM

as i think it has no 12v rails
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 6:28:46 PM

there should be a label on the power supply. it should show the amperage under the 12v............ might even be 2 - 12v listed..??
January 3, 2013 7:33:38 PM

well i ahve ordered a new psu, a corsair one to be exact, thanks for your help! I will give you guys an update later tomorrow when i have installed the new psu. Hopefuly it will work if not it will be a real bummer!
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 7:36:57 PM

louismcmanus said:
0.8 amps

I really don't think you know what you're looking at.
January 3, 2013 8:21:02 PM

true that^ but im pretty sure it didnt say anything
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2013 2:41:36 AM

louismcmanus said:
oh 24amps

Hmm the 660 needs minimum 450w with 24amps on the +12v...

IF it was a good power supply from a reliable maker that did not exaggerate capabilities.

Is a "storm" power supply outputting what it's claiming?

Never heard of em, is that the full name for the unit??

January 6, 2013 12:57:53 AM

sadly none of the above worked, im sending the card back, as i believe its broken, after countless tests i think its the card thanks for every ones help and i will get back to you on this problem!
!