Which Video Capture Card is perfect for my system?

G

I have an Athlon xp 1700+, aopen ak77 pro(a) motherboard, 2-60 gig. western digital HD. I need to be able to do video capture from my camcorders (Lg. old vhs unit, vhs-c, and Hi 8mm.) I need to have 64 mg of ram for gaming also. I don't want anything that will possibly crash my system so it needs to have a good review. PLEASE can someone help, I am tired of doing the research. I want a card that will handle my home movies with good enough graphics and the power of 64 mg of ram. Or can I get a video capture card that is pci and a separate video card that has 64 mb on it. Thanks!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by guitarmate on 02/09/02 08:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

The best will be a seperated Video Capture and display cards.
For the capturing you will get better quality and probably also DV and real time capebilities while your display card will not be integrated, cheaper and faster.

I can't tell you much about display cards as it's not my area but what is your budget ?

Intel / AMD - <A HREF="http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/white_news.html" target="_new">IBM are still the best</A>

G

I could reccomend the Studio DC 10+ from pinnacle which retails about £120 UK, $85US which has composite in/out and s-video in/out. You could also try a TV capture card such as one of ATI's all-in wonders. A radeon all in wonder AGP, includes video editing capabilities and a very decent gaming performance as well. AGP is required, but you can get older PCI All-in-wonders.

Hope this helps

G

I'd actually recommend a much more high end system,
The most important this to check is that the capture card can do Full D1 resolution. this is 720X480 for NTSC and 720X576 for PAL.

Yu might want to start with a TV card that have captring options if it can do D1 resolution but better look for a better system from the start.

Intel / AMD - <A HREF="http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/white_news.html" target="_new">IBM are still the best</A>

G

No, I got no loss of frames at D1 using my old Duron 700. This is probably due to the fact I bought the high-end DC10. A lower performance card, particularly TV capture cards will require a large amount of extra power, so scuba is very correct there. I would reccomend you either go with a high-end card such as the DC10+ (or something simmilar), or with the Radeon All-in-wonder 64mb AGP. If you are going to go for a PCI tuner with vid cap capabilities then load your system with memory, you cannot get away with less than 256mb DDR, ideally more though. Making sure you have sufficient memory, 7200RPM HDD (SCSI if you can afford, but I use IDE) and of course a LOT of free disk space.

David