Black Screen After Windows Logo (ATI HD 6990M)

Graphics Card:

Radeon HD 6990M

No Overclocking

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History:

Latest ATI drivers as well as drivers provided from the Sager website.

Operating System:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

Issue Details:

The problem started while I was watching a video with VLC media player. I quickly paused then unpaused the video and suddenly the whole screen went black. After the screen went black there was no further hard drive activity.

Alt-tabbing and ctrl-alt-del'ing had no effect.

I restarted the computer and after the bios and windows logo screens the screen went black again.

I restarted in safe mode and uninstalled all amd drivers using Driver Sweeper 2.1.0, uninstalled CCC and uninstalled the device from the device manager. Then restarted. The screen works until I reinstall CCC with drivers (both Sager's drivers and the latest from AMD). I restart and the screen goes black again after the Windows logo. I also tried doing all the above plus manually deleting all ati drivers in the windows/system32/drivers folder.

Also, sometimes when starting the computer (instead of getting the black screen) I get a BSOD with an error in atikmpag.sys

Motherboard or System Make & Model:

Sager NP8170

MB: p170HMx

CPU Details:

Intel Core i7-2630QM

No overclocking

Motherboard BIOS Version:

Bios version: 1.01.10LS1

VBIOS: BR40793.004

System Memory Type & Amount:

8GB
2 answers Last reply
More about black screen windows logo 6990m
  1. I have the exact same setup as you. And am running into the exact same problem besides getting the BSOD. Found anything out yet?
  2. Try the 12.10 drivers, they seem to be the most stable at the moment.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Drivers Graphics