XFX Radeon HD 7870 extremely loud, cant control fan speed

nutmaniv

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Hello, I recently bought this graphics card, and I've noticed it is extremely loud. It does have two fans, but it still seems much louder than it should be. I opened up the ATI catalyst control center (Rivatuner for ATI apparently) and it has fan control, but it appears to not be working. I can set it at the lowest (20%) and the highest (100%) and notice no change in how loud it is. It is supposedly at 37% according to CCC. Does the card not support fan control or is something wrong? You might also notice looking at newegg reviews that people mention how quiet it is. I am definitely NOT getting that with mine!

Any ideas?

Xttony

Distinguished
Have you used CCC to control the fan or just rivatuner? My card's fan speed cannot be controlled by rivatuner but CCC does that with ease.
Anyway even if the fans are working at full speeds the card should not be load. Check for any loose screws. Take the card out and shake it gently, if it makes any noise and you cannot find any screws that can be tightened, then get a replacement.

RotBaron

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I have recently purchased/installed the XFX 7870 CDFC.

I'm finding the the AMD vision engine control center to be rather lacking.

I don't see anywhere to overclock and most importantly, I don't see anywhere to control the fan.

With ASUS SmartDoctor it was amazingly easy to do both of these things and not have to install 3rd party software.

I believe the ccc that comes with my card is the amd vision control center, please correct me if I'm missing something.

I dl'd MSI Afterburner, however using this in game to monitor my gpu temps and adjust the fan takes away from the ability to play the game.

Any suggestions to what can be done to adjust the fan speeds to corresponding temps like I was able to do with SmartDoctor?

Thank you,

Rot

RotBaron

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
It's a clicking noise at about 2 clicks per second. Coil whine? I hope not because that sounds really bad. I'll have to look that up. How do you determine if it is?

RotBaron

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Also should mention, the clicking noise goes away when I turn up the speed of the fan with afterburner.

Maybe the sound is being drown out by the increase in sound emitting from other sources when I turn the fan speed up, idk?

fuzznug-

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

You can control clock and fan speeds using the CCC ( Catalyst Control Center ). Simply open CCC and then find the performance tab. Open AMD OverDrive under performance tab and there you see your cards default settings.. If all you want is fan speeds scroll to bottom and check the box "Enable Manual Fan Control". Drag the switch to desired fan speed (60-70% should be enough to cool the card down for any game). You might also want to drag the power control settings to around +5 for turning the fan up. That is all you have to do to adjust your GPU fan speeds with CCC. You will also see above manual fan control is the sliders for overclocking!