To start off here is my current build
Phenom II x4 960t
990fx sabertooth
Asus 7850 core 1150mhz
8gb g.skill ripjaw ram
120 ssd
1tb caviar black
HX750w

My question is should I get something like a gt 640 for physx or should i get one of the new fx-83xx cpu's. I do game when ever I have free time and i do enjoy the best graphics(as all do). so i would like to know what you would do if you were me.

P.S. do not tell me to by intel i dont have the money :non:

mustangkr500

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Considering you have an 7850, grab a 8320 or 8350, either overclock fine, plus you already have a 900FX mobo, it'd be dumb to go with Intel unless you got tons of money. I am running a 8350 with the same ram at 1866MHz, it is just as fast doing everyday things and games a 4Ghz than it does at 4.6Ghz, the only noticiable difference for me was bootup time off a HDD. I'd go with a 8320 if you're tight on budget, but a 8350 gives you more OC headroom when your system starts slowing in the future, and also faster stock, but AMD seems pretty well off on futurproofing if we'd get more applications that utilizes 8 cores. Cryengine 3 does an AMAZING job at it. It makes a huge difference over my 2500K with a better GPU! I'd go with FX-83xx CPU if I were you.

mustangkr500

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Such an intel fanboy................. I run a 2500K and a 8350, which one performs better? My 8350, my Intel is even clocked at 4.8 and AMD 4.2. Hmmm, the 7850 will run any game he needs, plus he has one of the best AM3+ mobo's out, it would be quite stupid to get a Z77. He could either wait till Steamroller or upgrade now, and trust me there is quite a bit of performance jump over his Phenom. The performance gain over a 7850 to a 660 is so little you wouldn't tell it.

mustangkr500

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
But really, my AMD seems to perform better than my Intel. My setups.

Intel:
Extreme3 Gen3 Asrock
G.Skill Sniper 2x4 1866Mhz
I5-2500K @ 4.8Ghz
7200RPM WD 1TB
6850 Sapphire 1GB

AMD:
Extreme3 Gen3 Asrock
FX-8350 @ 4.2GHz
7200RPM WD 1TB
6850 Sapphire 1GB

I think I need to do some Benchs tomorrow.

Edit: I only have one 6850 now since the one in my Intel died, so I took the one out of my AMD and put it in my Intel so I can upgrade my AMD first.

to me going for amd fx 8xxx series is the most logical move since he already have the board for it. about gaming performance it shoild be fine. about 8 core being future proof i dont really think so. it's fine if he really use a program that can utilize all the core right now but just because the cpu being 8 core it doesn't mean it will be future proof.

about the physx stuff it is easier if one go straight for nvidia cards instead of doing hybrid with amd cards. but since op already own amd cards and want physx effect then go for it if he wants to. unless he still deciding on which gpu to get i will definitely recommending going for purely nvidia setup.

mustangkr500

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hmm that is tough, sell the 7850 or get hybrid? I'd probably sell it, and I see where I messed up, yeah Nvidia setup would be logical with a FX-83xx because of his mobo (like I said).

cbrunnem

Distinguished

fyi just because cryengine 3 can support up to 8 threads doesnt mean that the games the use the engine will use 8 threads. crysis 2 is an example...

agreed piledriver isnt that much better then a phenom.

sorry you are just wrong. your 8350 would hold you back in games the 2500k would not. i dont care about what you think, your wrong. its not personal its just facts. you might feel like the amd is faster and i believe you do but the numbers say the intel is faster. its not fanboyism its just plain facts.

well you dont notice a performance difference because your being bottlenecked by the 6850's. You dont need to do benches, review sited have already done that for you. Everyone who has actually read a fx-8350 review will know its slower for gaming than an i5 3570k/2500k

Wouldn't bother with a dedicated PhysX card, especially Hybrid as you will have to download unofficial drivers and such for it to work. PhysX isnt used enough to justify getting an extra card anyway, only reason for a dedicated card is when your upgrading from Nvidia to a higher end Nvidia.

If I were you, I would be looking into stronger card or Crossfiring another 7850 in. You have the PSU for it.

G

getting hybrid physX going is a PIA with the nvidia driver blocking it when it detects an AMD card ( the driver modding is a hit or miss) and using a lower end card is highly debatable.

and as much as piledriver made gains over bulldozer the performance difference when compared to a phenom isn't worth running out and getting a vishera chip.

if you have a few bucks and want to see some more performance:

1) get a cpu cooler and overclock what you have if you haven't already

2) sell the 7850 and with that and the money you would have spent on a gt 640 (~$80) get a gtx 660 for ~$220

to repeat: no on getting a physx only card and no on getting a fx-83xx.

SilentBanshee

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks ill probably wait for steamroller to come out then upgrade.
and in the future getting a nvidia GPU when it at 800 series or when I don't get go mid settings on games. Also I am NOT getting Intel! I will not be a poor collage freshman with an Intel cpu. I have made my decision.

G

sound good.

but i must point out where i think you are in error:
I will not be a poor collage freshman with an Intel cpu.

it is a myth that an intel rig is SSSOOOO expensive. if you do a little research you will see they pretty much the same pricing wise. both have $50, $75, $100, $150 and $200 cpus and motherboards price are based on features than what socket is on it.

the only difference is AMD has a few lower priced performance/price points. there is nothing wrong with preferring AMD; i just suggest you keep an open mind so you don't live a lie . . .

SilentBanshee

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I agree with being open minded but what I wanted and the future proofing I wanted I could only get with and with out shelling an extra 150+. I'm sure I could have waited for a deal but I have no retreats about my build.

JJ1217

Honorable

This +1. No use spending money on it, unless you already have previously.

acktionhank

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
What CPU cooler do you have? If you are just running stock the best upgrade based on price/performance would be an Air cooler and just overclock the thing to 4ghz.

My 960t is running at 4ghz right now, and there isn't any need to upgrade it, with 6850's Xfired i'm getting anywhere from 60-130fps on Skyrim. Skyrim is a very CPU intensive game, and my overclocked Phenom II 960t laughs at it.

i had xfire 6850's and sold them due to stuttering in skyrim (and other games) within a month of getting the second card. with max settings 1080p and high res texture pack. its probably ok without texture pack. The 1gb vram limits your fps and gives great stuttering in open areas when the texture pack is on. with a 2gb gtx660 its smooth 60fps with vsync all the way.