I have no sound! All i hear is this "beep"!

G

HI! I was having problems with my Computer/internet so i decided to do a diagnostic restart with my cpu (windows XP). After this everything was running smoothly, besides the fact that I had no sound, and when ever sound was supposed to happen, i would hear a beep from my tower. When i go to "volume control" it says that i have no active mixer devices availible. I restarted my cpu in normal startup mode, and the same problem occurs. I also re-installed my "sound blaster live!" and still the problem occurs. Please help me!

G

I got an athlon 1600 XP
256 DDR
Soundblaster Live 5.1
gigabyte mobo GA-7vtx series VIA KT266 AGPset
40 gig HD

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Could be a lot of things. First is it safe to assume your sound was working fine at one point? Second, have you disabled the on-board sound in the bios? Did you un-install the drivers/mixer before trying the re-install.
Go to control panel---system---device manager.. Look for the line about your sound. Click on the "+" sign. highlight the line (probably says sound blaster). Now right click and select properties. Now click on drivers tab. What does it say? Are the drivers properly installed? Can you access the mixer, wave table or anything else associated with sound blaster?
In other words, dig around some more so we have more info to help you solve your problem.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you installed the latest VIA 4-in-1 and SB Live! drivers?
If possible, try to set SB 16 Emulation to share IRQ with LPT.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
windows by default uses the system beep when no sound devices are found, chances are it conveniantly 'forgot' you had a soundcard. This has happened to me before with my old diamond stealth 2 video card. After running in safe mode my video drivers were gone. What you should do is remove any sound drivers installed and allow windows to redetect the soundcard. If that doesn't work install the latest drivers from creative's site.

<i>Hi I am from Canada, I don't use amd cause they melt my igloo eh.</i>

G

Ok there are some other problems that i have now been experiencing with my computer now. When i go into device manager, there is nothing in that list. Another thing is that I cant enter the prgm "add new hardware". I tried Installing new drivers, and the software i got with my cound card, but still with no success. Using the prgm Belarc Advisor it read my sound card. Does this mean that my card is fine? In MSCONFIG under system there used to be a whole list of stuff, now there is only about 20-30. Also, in may tasks manager when i startup my cpu, under proceses there is only one thing under the user of SYSTEM, which is system idle process, i think i screwed up pretty bad, i hope that this info is useful for all u smart guys!

G

Maybe your sound card needs reseating?

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
<i>(Crazy Alien)</i>
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. :wink:

Xaos

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
If I were in your shoes, this would be my tactic: Uninstall every piece of software + drivers that came with the card. Turn off the computer and remove the sound card. Restart the computer. Turn it off and re-insert the sound card. Hopefully XP will recognize this device as new and you can be on your way to a successful installation. If you are having even deeper OS problems, I would just "format C:" and reinstall from scratch.

I feel your pain - my audigy doesn't play well with XP either.

Give me Convenience or Give me Death!