Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 670 Screen Flicker and other issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2013 12:47:51 AM

Hello,

I recently purchased an Evga GTX 670 FTW LE card and installed it a couple days ago. It's a great card, but there is a constant screen flicker that occurs about 90% of the time regardless of what I'm doing, whether it be web browsing or playing a game. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I didn't pay near $400 dollars to get a card that does this. I read other forums about this same issue, but they don't ever seem to be as severe as mine. I've read that it's a driver issue, but I'm not so sure as I only see this issue with other "FTW" cards. Right now I'm kinda on the fence whether or not I should return it and get something cheaper(this card does create a small bottleneck). I'm also having weird usage when I play games. Maybe it's because the card is very powerful, but in BF3@Ultra preset, the card only goes around 80% usage.

In short, though, if the screen flicker issue is solvable, then I won't worry about returning the card.

Thanks
January 3, 2013 12:59:40 AM

Monitor specs? And what are your GPU temps stable and during games?
m
l

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
January 3, 2013 1:05:16 AM

The usage in BF3 is fine and it's probably because nvidia implements power saving feaure into their cards to save power.

I would RMA because it doesn't seems like everybody gets constant flickering. Maybe get a different model than FTW? Update your drivers to the latest version first though
Related resources
January 3, 2013 1:05:53 AM

Turn Nvidia Vertical Sync on.
Is it 80% memory usage?
Check temperatures and if it's trapped inside a desk (with one of those tower slots) take it out, because those tend to raise temperatures by as much as 10C
m
l
January 3, 2013 1:46:53 AM

i8myhippo said:
Monitor specs? And what are your GPU temps stable and during games?

I currently am playing at 1600x900, but when I go back for my spring semester I'll go to a 1280x1024(using my dad's monitor right now). The temps seem to be pretty stable. At full load, they stay around low 70s.

Also, I haven't tried my new setup with my old monitor(1280x1024) yet.
m
l
January 3, 2013 2:09:18 AM

EzioAs said:
The usage in BF3 is fine and it's probably because nvidia implements power saving feaure into their cards to save power.

I would RMA because it doesn't seems like everybody gets constant flickering. Maybe get a different model than FTW? Update your drivers to the latest version first though

The drivers are the latest. I downloaded them from nvidia website two days ago.

I do think that I'm going to return this card. I think it's a little overkill for my setup anyways. Oh well :( 
m
l
January 3, 2013 2:33:34 AM

Well, I've decided to return the card. I think I'll use the money instead to switch over to an Intel build.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 3, 2013 2:35:37 AM

What do you mean switch over to intel build?
m
l
January 3, 2013 3:04:06 AM

I was going to eventually go intel (mobo+cpu) and rebuild my computer anyways. Now seems like a good time to do it.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 3, 2013 3:08:29 AM

Oh, good luck with that. ;) 

If you're done with this thread at the moment, don't forget to choose the best answer so that the forum moderators can close it. If you have further questions later, create a new thread
m
l
January 3, 2013 3:10:42 AM

Best answer selected by jthill909.
m
l
!