Sign in with
Your question

New RAM/ MP3's skipping

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 9, 2002 11:35:00 PM

Ok, so I recently upgraded my RAM from 96 MB to 256 MB. Now, all of a sudden my MP3's are skipping during playback. This only happens when IE is loading a webpage with a lot of graphics or when I'm downloading @ high speeds (200+ KB/s). This is VERY annoying because it never happened before. I have tried both winamp and Musicmatch so it is not a software issue. The RAM was sent to me by a friend who had no use for it anymore. I am using 2 128 sticks. My computer is old, here are the specs -

Motherboard: i440BX-SMC672
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 12/18/2000
Sound: Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio (SB16 compatible) (ISA)
Creative AWE64 Wavetable MIDI (AWE32 compatible) (ISA)
Display: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
CPU: 350 MHz Intel Pentium II
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
HD: 8.61 GB (generic)
OS- win 98 SE

All I know about the memory is that 1 stick is PC 100 SDRAM made by Kingston and the other stick is the same made by Infineon. I have tried a bunch of things, even reformatting and doing a clean install of windows and the only idea i have left is changing the ISA slot that my sound card is in. If anyone as any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

More about : ram mp3 skipping

February 10, 2002 8:01:02 AM

i would say there is not enough processing power. win 98 has a problem with too much ram too. i know there is a file that you have to edit to fix this, but can't remember which. try only one stick. and the minimum speed for smooth mp3 playback is about 400mhz. i could be wrong about the mhz.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red>LOOK</font color=red> </A>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 10, 2002 11:03:57 PM

wow! excellent help. thanks
Related resources
February 11, 2002 1:54:58 PM

The memory problem is for Win98 systems with 512MB+ RAM. So just so ya know, you're okay on that. But, I would agree on the processing power with <b>scamtron</b>.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin" target="_new">My Website</A>-<b>reorganized</b> & updated everyday
February 15, 2002 1:58:49 PM

Thanks Scamtron, the PC of my neighbours has problems while playing MP3's, now I know it is because of the 166 MHz CPU.
But I have an old Compaq with an 166MHz CPU and 64MB RAM and it plays MP3's perfectly...strange.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
February 15, 2002 6:24:09 PM

My first computer was a Pentium 200 MMX and it could play mp3's fine. But if I remember if I run a lot of programs, the sound starts to crackle whenever I scroll. So I would think you would have enough processing power to play mp3's.

I believe the program called Cacheman has an option that fixes the memory issue with win98 and memory over 512mb.
!