Building tomorrow my very first home built system

kipender

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Hey Guys,

Tomorrow I have all my parts arriving from Amazon for my first attempt at building a pc of my own. Before this I always had to have laptops due to the nature of the work I used to do. Finally not on the move anymore and can try something new. Here is what I have arriving tomorrow:

1. Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
2. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
3. Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s
4. Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit
5. Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive
6. EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5
7. Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 DDR3 LGA 1155 Motherboard
8. Windows 8 System Builder DVD 64-Bit
9. Corsair CX750 Builder Series ATX 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply
10. Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155
11. NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower USB 3.0 Gaming Case

I have 2 questions:

1. Is my components that I have picked out a respectable set for my gaming computer, or have I made any glaring errors? All my parts are from Amazon, so it would be very easy to return parts and order others instead.

2. Do any of you experienced builders have any tips or suggestions for building it that you wish you had known before you had put together your first system?

FlyingPigman

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Looks great to me! The one thing is, Windows 8 has some small compatibility issues with a couple keyboards, peripherals like that, your computer will still work, but it will be annoying, I would stick with Windows 7 if I were you. And as for building, WORK ON A WOOD OR TILE SURFACE! I had a friend who tried to build his computer on his 2" carpet, He put it all together and it didn't work, why? static had shorted out a part in the motherboard. And also, Cable Routing is a lot easier than everyone says it is, the hardest part is wiring the Front Pannel Connectors, which you can just refer to your Motherboard Manual for. I think that this is a solid build, best of luck!

kipender

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Very good heads up on the work surface! I was planning on building it on my dinning table which is glass. I do have a folding table with a wooden top if you think that would be better. I figured that I would go with win8 just because I would have to learn it sooner or later, and there is supposedly a mode which you can put it into in which makes it act like win7