Your question

OverHeating problems Shappire Radeon HD 7870

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2013 4:28:04 AM

Well guys, I have this graphics card from 8 months and I recently experienced problems with overheating for example after using msi overclocking application, I used Msi Kombustor to test the temperatures and after I opened the program I get 85° celsius in 3 seconds, ITS CRAZY i know. But how Can I fix this problem, do I have to buy a new one? Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.

More about : overheating problems shappire radeon 7870

a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 4:37:19 AM

Its normal to reach High Temps in seconds during these Tests.
Not to worry.

But check out the Temps during playing Games. ;) 
m
l
January 3, 2013 4:51:01 AM

yes I know but never happened to me before, I always get arround 72° and now this... and also I cant play games such dirt 3, only low gpu usage games :S otherwise the graphics card crash and I have to reboot
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 4:54:23 AM

So your card crashes at High Usage?
m
l
January 3, 2013 4:56:14 AM

Yes, because I almost got 90° on games such dirt 3 or half life 2 ep 2, Idk should I change the thermal paste or something? because I already did that and still :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 5:00:35 AM

If applying Thermal paste didn't work, then your card maybe dead.
I'm sure its still in Warranty Period. So, change it now.
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:06:17 AM

I have no warranty since in my country I have only 6 months so well, anyways I dont understand how it can overheat because of the gpu usage and not since I start windows :/ 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 5:12:00 AM

Mast3rkill said:
anyways I dont understand how it can overheat because of the gpu usage and not since I start windows :/ 

Didn't understood it well. Please explain it a bit better.

And No Warranty! :??: 
You should always have 2-3 years Warranty while buying Electronic Items.
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:40:24 AM

Thermal paste only applies to CPU not GPU. And if you bought from XFX, you get a lifetime warranty.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 6:19:58 AM

aonor said:
Thermal paste only applies to CPU not GPU. And if you bought from XFX, you get a lifetime warranty.

*FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM* *FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM**FACEPALM*

Please tell me you are joking. PLEASE. There is still a heatsink and still contact points between the heatsink and the GPU.

And he bought a Sapphire card, not a XFX.

m
l
January 3, 2013 6:23:35 AM

Thanks to all for the help and, well, it seems to be a problem of the gpu itself, Idk I just keep getting the card overheated, I guess I can just underclock it and find for a new one :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 6:29:41 AM

No offense, but the way you are explaining things (even with typos and whatnot), it doesnt sound like you know what you are talking about. Im just gonna come out and say it, I doubt that if you replaced the thermal paste, that you did it right. Research how to apply it and redo it. Id almost guarantee that is where your overheating problems come from.
m
l
!