Sign in with
Your question

GPU freezing when gameing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2013 6:56:15 AM

I've been having a problem when playing games that put a heavy load on my computer, they will run fine for 30 minutes or more, but then freeze.When it happens there's a loud static sound through the speakers, 15 seconds later it will resume, then freeze again and repeat.

If I can manage to close the game and return to the desktop, it continues to be very laggy and crashes some of my USB devices.

So far I have done:
A complete clean re-install of the graphics drivers.
Ran Memtest for 12 hours with no error.
Ran Prime95 for 4 hours with no error.
Looked at my temps while gaming and the GPU and CPU both averaged in the sixties.
Disabled audio drivers that might have been causing conflicts.

This has happened in many games such as Dead Island, Max Payne 3, Far Cry 3, The Sims 3 and Prototype. I have all the games on max or high settings.

Also when I try to enter the BIOS after a few seconds small blue vertical slashes appear at the top of the screen and it freezes and I can't do anything.

Specs:
Asrock Z77 Extreme 3 MOBO
Msi GTX 670
i5 3570k
Coolermaster Silent ProM 850W PSU
Western Digital 1 terabyte HDD

More about : gpu freezing gameing

a c 134 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 7:46:44 AM

What programs do you run in the background if you don't mind me asking. Also, do you ever get driver crashed messages.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 9:04:51 AM

Have you overclocked the graphics card? Try running furmark as well because it seems like you have no problem on the CPU and RAM.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 9:10:05 AM

update the BIOS of your mainboard...also uninstall all auto tuning utilities such as "axtu" if you have any
also uninstall the Virtu MVP software if you have it installed
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:46:32 PM

I try not to run to many big programs in the background just steam, antivirus and itunes. I get no driver messages though leading up to the crashes event viewer says:

The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section. EVENT ID 3012

The graphics card came factory overclocked and i'll try to download and run furmark today.

The BIOS is updated to the most recent version and i'll try uninstalling all the bloatware that came with the motherboard.

Thanks for the replies!

m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 6:52:39 PM

Well without knowing your anti virus its hard to say if its going to slow you down. I would think you would still be okay but again just another thing that can slow you down. I had fraps and afterburner running and it really started to bog me down well afterburner with the OSD. Furmark will only help with artifact testing. Prime95 is a more suited program as its more of a system stability test.
m
l
January 3, 2013 7:40:31 PM

Sorry the antvirus is Avast free.
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 7:47:34 PM

Oh okay yea I run that as well you should be golden there.
m
l
January 3, 2013 8:36:02 PM

hmm i think i had this problem.Some part of the gpu got crashed, just go and get help from someone to fix ur gpu.I think its the fan but im not sure...when it happens, ur comp is freezing right?
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 8:56:24 PM

I would think temps as well but he said he ran prime 95 for a really long time so that leads me to think no. I mean maybe try furmark for 10-15 minutes and see if it freezes.
m
l
January 3, 2013 11:04:00 PM

I downloaded Furmark and ran the 720 benchmark preset, it didn't crash and I got a score of 1800
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 11:36:02 PM

Okay so there is one more item to check off the list of possibilities :p 
m
l
January 4, 2013 8:22:11 PM

Last night my computer decided to work and i played Far Cry 3 for 2 hours, but today it feels like not working again and crashed after 20 minutes.

m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 4, 2013 8:39:49 PM

Hmm very odd. Now I'm going to take a shot into left field have you encountered any issues beyond games. Weird system restarts things of that nature BSOD's?
m
l
January 4, 2013 10:38:14 PM

No the issues are only in games though once the issues start even if I manage to close the game the freezing continues until I restart the computer.
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 1:07:19 AM

Hmm very odd. Yea my next stab would of been to check hard drive health.
m
l
January 11, 2013 1:02:40 AM

Haven't tested the Hdd and still getting freezes. Sometimes the games will minimize to the desktop and I don't get the freezing issues, but can't get back into game. Would a faulty HDMI cable cause these kinds of crashes?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2013 1:08:15 AM

I have a similar issue, no your HDMI cable won't have anything to do with it. It could be RAM but I just swapped my mobo and ram and its the same. I'm staring to think it's both of our hard drives.
m
l
January 13, 2013 3:05:28 AM

What program do you recommend to test the hard drive?
m
l
January 13, 2013 4:23:43 AM

Do you use a newer HDMI revision or displayport?

If you have those sometimes the signals from monitor/GPU can interfere with each other because of bad shielding and cause the crash+noise you are talking about, I had the same problem with a v3 HDMI, I switched to v1.1 and it's been fixed.

Try a DVI-D or older HDMI.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 2:41:29 PM

You can just run the windows check disc utility. It look for bad sectors and check them off so they're not used anymore.
m
l
January 15, 2013 11:37:21 PM

I ran windows disc check utility over night and it didn't solve the problem.
m
l
February 1, 2013 12:12:53 AM

Good news! I finally fixed the problem by switching the card to the secondary Pcie slot. It hasn't crashed at over 2 hours of play. Thanks for your help everybody!
m
l
!