Heat Insulation Material- does it exist?

999x

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Hi, guys
Long time browser, first time asker.
Also, forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

So basically my problem is I know what I want, but not sure what its called, if it even exists, or if its even wise to do.

The scenario is that my build situates the 2 HDDs (or SSDs) a couple mm under the mobo processor (case: antec isk 110).
The issue I have is that with the 2 being so close, any heat from the drives heats up the mobo/cpu and possibly vice versa. Not so much an issue with just 1 SSD but with a HDD or both it results in a substantial heat increase (10-20C).

So what I want to do, if advisable, is put some kind of thermal insulation material between the drives and the mobo. The intent being the drive heat will keep to the drive, and the processor heat will keep to the processor (and be cooled by the cpu fan).
There will be no heat transfer (or less transfer) between the 2 components, and will have the same effect as in a large case where the mobo and drives are further apart (although, yes, things will be a little hotter as some of the heat will be reflected back, but at least the components wont be working together, like how 2 people huddle to build up body heat).

So, is there some kind of computer grade material that can be used for this situation (something like those silver thermal blankets paramedics use)?
Is it a common practice? is it even wise to be trying this?
Worst case I just end up with 2 SSDs and deal with the heat increase.
(I also plan on modding the bottom panel to increase air flow)

Any help will be much appreciated, even if its "you fool, you dont know what you're doing. just leave it, or you'll ruin the whole thing"

hard drives generate heat. If you isolate the heat you may be just containing the heat and causing them to overheat and fail

A solution is more likely to be about adding fans/ air flow and cooling everything .
Even if you have to cut some new holes in the case to do it

999x

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Thanks for the reply. I intend to replace most of the bottom solid panel with mesh, and add some feet to give it a bit of airflow clearance. I will also see if its possible to squeeze or add a small chassis fan somewhere too.

The idea behind the insulation/reflection sheet was that it would force the drive to "cool" itself through the air underneath, and force the cpu/mobo to cool by the air and fan above.

Of course, this is all based on my assumption that the two components being able to heat up each other causes an additive heat effect larger than the sum of the individual heats of each component.

Maybe I will have to do some trial and error. Who, knows, maybe the drive heating the mobo/cpu effectively makes the cpu fan cool the drive as well.