Sign in with
Your question

Pc to LCD tv: No signal

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2013 8:36:45 AM

Hi,
I have connected my PC to LG Scarlet TV 37" via DVI to HDMI adapter and 3M HDMI cable. Everything works OK, except when I change my HDMI port on TV (say from HDMI1 to HDMI3) or turn off / on my TV I got a "No signal" message bouncing on TV screen. Then normally I have two options 1) restart my PC (hard reset) or 2) remove the HDMI cable from from TV and put it again, both solution are quite frustrating.
I cant figure it out where the problem lies, on VGA port power options or on TV. If I buy for example VGA with direct HDMI output will it solve the problem?
I really need your help.
Thanks

Cofiguration
1 x Motherboard ASUS K8N-DL dual opteron (up to 2xdualcore=4core Opteron series),
2 x CPU AMD Opteron 250 2.4Ghz OSA250FAA5BL, FSB 1000MHz (2 x 2.4GHz = 4.8GHz),
2 x 1Gb = 2Gb CORSAIR DDR PC3200 400MHz ECC REGISTERED,
VGA PCI Express 16x ATI Radeon X850 XT 256Mb DDR2 (2*DVI + Vin) Sapphire,

More about : lcd signal

a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 10:02:32 AM

Well if you change hdmi ports you will need to change the input to that port on the tv.
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 10:15:55 AM

get a dvi cable if your tv supports dvi input.
that will solve it...adapter are always the worst option.
Related resources
January 3, 2013 10:17:32 AM

wanderer11 said:
Well if you change hdmi ports you will need to change the input to that port on the tv.

My PC is connected to HDMI1 port on TV and my satellite receiver is on HDMI2. While my PC is turned on and I am on HDMI1 everything is working OK.
When I change my TV to HDMI2 (satellite receiver) and when go back to HDMI1 (PC) I am getting "no signal". Also, while I am on HDMI1 (PC) and turn off/on my TV I am also getting "no signal".
Hope it clarifies my question
January 3, 2013 10:19:31 AM

siddharthmukul007 said:
get a dvi cable if your tv supports dvi input.
that will solve it...adapter are always the worst option.

My TV has VGA and HDMI inputs only.... so in any case I have to use adapter . Unless I buy a low cost VGA card with HDMI outpout.
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 10:48:09 AM

what happens if you press mute on the tv remote while it's displaying no signal?

That one was just a wild guess.

Its to do with the old graphics card + drivers not resending response signal once it drops by either changing channel or turning off tv.

5xxx series amd had a similar issue with hdmi and it was due to drivers and was eventually fixed. In your case, drive support is very limited.

All i could suggest is buying an all in one cable with a dvi and hdmi at both end.
January 3, 2013 11:01:32 AM

boju said:
what happens if you press mute on the tv remote while it's displaying no signal?

That one was just a wild guess.

Its to do with the old graphics card + drivers not resending response signal once it drops by either changing channel or turning off tv.

5xxx series amd had a similar issue with hdmi and it was due to drivers and was eventually fixed. In your case, drive support is very limited.

All i could suggest is buying an all in one cable with a dvi and hdmi at both end.

So, basically when I change hdmi port on TV my VGA stop sending signal? if this is a case is there any power setting which will keep signal alive constantly?
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 12:09:45 PM

no software settings unfortunately, its all hardware based.

Heres some more info

http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheaterdoityourself...

The graphics card is HDCP-enabled, though old it does state in specifications as HDTV ready. It could be the converter cable as it will determine proper communication required between both the HDMI and DVI devices.

In saying that, the graphics card being much older than your tv, its more likely the two aren't 100% compatible.

I would suggest buying an updated graphics card with hdmi.
!