Question about UDMA and EIDE

G

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows which of these two technologies is newer and/or faster.Im buying a new cd-rom, and I thought it was a simple investment but I now find myself looking for different features such as whether it can read an 800meg disk oppose to a 650meg disk

UDMA or EIDE are feature that I found definitions for, but I couldnt figure out which was faster. My impression so far is that EIDE is better because it doesnt use as much system memory for transfers. I am not positive if this makes sense though.

Its a small piece of info, but not easy to find. To Recap my Q. I know what EIDE and UDMA are, but Im wondering which is faster?

Thanks,

R_E

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
UDMA is a protocol for transferring data between a hard disk drive through the computer's bus to the computer's RAM.
EIDE is a standard electronic interface between your computer and its mass storage drives.

The two terms are completely seperate things. You can have an EIDE conenction that support UDMA or an IDE connection that supports UDMA.

The fastest out is UDMA ATA133 which I believe only Maxtor has drives that use it, so far. If your mainboard does not support ATA133 then you'll need to get an add-on card. The other day in Best Buy I saw an 80GB from maxtor that included a card that had ATA133. I was drooling.

So how big of a hard drive you drooling over?

GK

My motherboard can beat up your motherboard!