Graphics Card clearance help

John66

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Okay guys, I need help! I am planning my second build, and I am finding myself in a little confused. There is one things that is troubling me after hours of research. I don’t know how much room I need at the end of my video card to the case. I am wanting to use the Asus HD 7850 2GB video card (link 1) in the Zalman z11 plus case (link 2). The problem is the dimensions of the video card are 10.2"x4.5"x1.7". The website for Zalman case says it can hold a 290mm (or 11.4") video card. Is this trustworthy, is that enough room to fit the video card without having to add an aftermarket heatsink fan, or will I need to replace the stock one ASAP? Or does it not matter at this point, and the card simply does not fit? After all I am working on a budget that I have already exceeded.

I have spent so many hours trying to get everything so right that my head is spinning, and I am probably over thinking everything.

1 ( http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/HD7850DC2T2GD5V2/ )
2 ( http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=476 )

Here is what my build looks like:
AMD FX 8350 Black Edition (replacing Core 2 Quad)
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Mobo (replacing MSI micro-ATX)
Asus HD 7850 2GB Video Card (replacing GT120)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM (replacing 4GB DDR2)
750watt power supply (cannibalized)
3.5" 1TB HDD Seagate Barracuda (cannibalized)
3.5" 650GB HDD Western Digital (cannibalized)
16x CD/RW drive (cannibalized)
Zalman z11 plus computer case (will have all 8 fans when I am done building it)

tassietim

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
don't look like you would have any issues as the case drive bays a facing side on so no hassles with cables from the hd interfering with the gcard , weird card to have that much over hang on the back end , seams like a wasted layout, second fan not cooling the card much

John66

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Thanks bud.
Got another question. How would that work for cooling? Is the video card going to block the airflow to the motherboard, or is there enough stock cooling up there?

tassietim

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
wouldn't think it would hurt it, in fact it should drive some air flow up towards you ram slots but that case going to have some nice cooling anyways
btw going to look sweet with that board all black inside there