[New Build] Micro ATX GTX 690

Hello, I'm trying to put together a new build for both work and play. This is going in my bedroom so a quiet PC would be nice. Also, space is limited, so I'm hoping to use a micro atx case (15" or smaller height). If that's not possible, I can maybe move some furniture around and fit a small tower somewhere.

Approximate Purchase Date: 2 weeks.

Budget Range: $3000 after rebates / shipping.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Photoshop, VMs (RHEL running typical server stuff), Video Encoding, daily use.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything :) (except network card)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon if possible. (Newegg charges sales tax where I live.)

Parts Preferences: i7 3930k because I'll be doing a lot more than just gaming. GTX 690 because I'll be running 2560x1600, and it'll be easier to fit / keep cool inside a micro atx case than a 670 or 680 sli? I've used Lian Li cases in the past and have good memories with them.

Overclocking: Maybe (If it means I can get away with using a micro atx case, I don't mind not OCing)

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1600

Additional Comments: Quiet. Simple case design. Micro ATX if possible, otherwise smallest tower that will fit a gtx 690, 1 SSD, and 1 HDD (most of my stuff is stored on a separate server).

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: First new desktop in a long while (I've been using laptops up till now).

I was hoping for something similar to this: http://www.gamepc.com/shop/systemfamily.asp?family=gpcp9

But hopefully something with a little more air flow. I can go without the optical drive if that extra space is needed.

9 answers Last reply
More about build micro
  1. I can't give you a build config or a list of parts, but I recommend you go with the new GTX Titan, similar price to the GTX 690 but shorter, better thermals and quieter. A little bit faster too IIRC.
  2. conpen said:
    I can't give you a build config or a list of parts, but I recommend you go with the new GTX Titan, similar price to the GTX 690 but shorter, better thermals and quieter. A little bit faster too IIRC.

That does look interesting.... Sounds like a winner to me. :)
  3. Mixro ATX builds can be quite difficult, making sure you get everything to fit and not turn into an oven can be challenging. The Bolt by Digital Storm is very nice, quite small and they just made a Titan Edition with an i7 and GTX Titan. Might want to look into that if you want, nice company. Your choice, if you want to go ahead building it yourself then there are lots of people on this forum that can help you pick out compatible components.
  4. Ya, I was kind of concerned about getting a GTX 690 into a micro ATX case. The GTX Titan looks more manageable, especially with the lower heat. I guess I'll wait till benchmarks are released to make a final decision. The main reason for the 690 was to play games at ultra settings at 2560x1600. If the Titan can do that while running cooler and taking up less space, I think it's a better option.

I wonder if I could fit a water cpu cooler in a micro atx case with the gtx Titan... I know that link I posted above did it with the gtx 690, but their build looks really, really snug. They also use a 1000w power supply. I think I could get away with a 750w given the lower TDP of Titan?
  5. Antec P280 Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

Antec KUHLER H2O 920 Liquid Cooling System

GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL

2 x PowerColor AX7970 3GBD5-2DHV3 Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250KW 2.5" 250GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SUM ~2300$. Let me start by saying that for such build it's a crime for me to go mATX. I think it's possible to find some space as If I remember right the case is around 20 inch long. Secondly I would go with dual GPU instead of one 690 and because I try to pick value parts I go with 7970s. Finally I try to pick some low noise hardware, like the case and the liquid cooling with PWM fans. I've also looked for fanless PSU but I find them extremly costy so I went with a modular Corsair!
  6. The build above is nice, there aren't that many options when going with mATX, an ATX build can be small if you choose the right case. I don't know how the crossfire setup above would work heat-wise, but with your budget and concerns about noise a GTX Titan is an amazing choice, it's the best single-card performance you can get today hands down until the HD 8000 and GTX 700 series release (Some say Q2, others say Q4). In reply to your earlier question, a 750w PSU should work fine with the Titan, but I don't know what the recommended wattage is. (Make sure you have plenty of amps too)
  7. Thanks for the replies. I really want to try to pull off as a SFF build. I'm also leaning more towards air cooling as long as I can fit a Noctua NH-D14 in a mATX case. I really wanted to get the Lian Li V354, but I think the PSU blocks the Noctua, so I went with the Silverstone TJ08, which is shown in this video along with the Noctua:

I went with an Asus mobo because of positive past experiences, and their ROG mATX board looks pretty good. I picked a 480 GB SSD for OS and software because I'm almost out of space on my current 240, and a 5400 RPM HDD for media and storage, for the lower noise and power/heat. I have the 690 in there for now, but will probably replace it with the Titan depending on how benchmarks turn out. They should be about the same price anyway.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Gene Micro ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($279.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 480GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($519.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($1019.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($123.98 @ Newegg)
    Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12B FLX 59.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($174.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $3098.87
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-21 08:17 EST-0500)

Oh, I also went with a 850W modular Gold PSU because I have bad memories of system instability in the past due to PSU issues. I think it's a bit of an overkill, but I just want to be safe.
  8. Hmm... well, with the numbers out for Titan, I'm not entirely sure I'm going to switch. Performance wise, the 690 is much better on a single 2560x1600. As for temps and noise, Anandtech's review favors Titan, whereas Tomshardware rates both cards about the same. Size isn't an issue, as the TJ08 can fit a 690 fine.

My only other hesitation about the 690 is possible dual gpu driver issues. I've heard they exist, but are they actually prevalent in common games/applications?

My main reason for going with Titan was heat and noise. Maybe having a 690 in the bedroom 4 feet away from me while I sleep isn't too bad, and a Titan isn't that much better? Gonna google around some more I guess...
  9. The build you posted above looks good, I did some research and the Titan is comparable to the 690, spec wise it seems to be very close, with a very slight advantage going to the 690. However, the 690 uses a system comparable to "Internal SLI", and a small amount of people report slight stuttering for some games. Don't let this affect your opinion too much, just something to consider.

It is all up to you, the 690 will let you squeeze all the performance in the world from a single card, but the Titan will run cooler and quieter for a few FPS less, which is important for small cases. Both are still extremely great cards and will smoke any game for years.

All up to you, the best part of building a PC is picking the parts. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build ATX New Build Systems Product