Sign in with
Your question

Where do I start?

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2013 11:40:59 AM

I have no knowledge on computer building however I would love to get into especially building a gaming computer but I dont know how to. How did you learn and what do you reccomened for me?

More about : start

February 20, 2013 12:01:47 PM

First when I was very young, I took apart every electronic thing I could find. Seen how it worked, then usually couldn't get it back together and threw it away. Then I started documenting how I took it apart and successfully got them back together again. Then I went to college for computer science, and read and read and researched and read and then read some more. Been working in the field for 20 years now. And I still research and read more and more. So if you want to build a PC, start by filling this out

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgra...
Related resources
February 20, 2013 12:29:31 PM

Heh heh. Don't let larrym's chest-beating scare you. The only electronics that I've taken apart have been a kettle and a toasted-sandwich maker but I'd already built a couple of PCs by then.

Building a PC is a question of plugging a (perhaps surprisingly) small selection of components together and being a bit handy with a screwdriver, wires and connectors. Connectors only tend to plug into what they're supposed to plug into and can only go in the right way but there's no harm in being careful. Don't force anything that seems reluctant. There's no nitty-gritty electronics involved, let alone rocket science. However do definitely RTFMs a few times.

Troubleshooting a yet-to-come-alive build is a whole different thing, of course. ;-) But it will hopefully not come to that. Take your time and be paranoid about static electricity, which is usually a silent killer. A simple precaution is to handle cards and boards like a CD, ie. by the edges, and avoid fingers on metal as even a clean hand may have some degree of moisture and grease.

For many tasks, even quite particular ones (eg. this motherboard/cooler/graphics card in that case), you'll find YouTube videos where someone is keen to show off how they did it. Some are very good, some are crap so watch a selection.

I do agree with Larry that read and read and research and read will do you a world of good - in any field - as long as you eventually take a break to do - buy and build! ;o)

Hopefully, if you have the same experience as I and many others have had then your first build will be accompanied by two thoughts: "Phew, it worked first time" and "That was a lot easier than I expected".

Have fun. :-)
February 20, 2013 12:33:00 PM

devBunny said:
Heh heh. Don't let larrym's chest-beating scare you. The only electronics that I've taken apart have been a kettle and a toasted-sandwich maker but I'd already built a couple of PCs by then.

Building a PC is a question of plugging a (perhaps surprisingly) small selection of components together and being a bit handy with a screwdriver, wires and connectors. Connectors only tend to plug into what they're supposed to plug into and can only go in the right way but there's no harm in being careful. Don't force anything that seems reluctant. There's no nitty-gritty electronics involved, let alone rocket science. However do definitely RTFMs a few times.

Troubleshooting a yet-to-come-alive build is a whole different thing, of course. ;-) But it will hopefully not come to that. Take your time and be paranoid about static electricity, which is usually a silent killer. A simple precaution is to handle cards and boards like a CD, ie. by the edges, and avoid fingers on metal as even a clean hand may have some degree of moisture and grease.

For many tasks, even quite particular ones (eg. this motherboard/cooler/graphics card in that case), you'll find YouTube videos where someone is keen to show off how they did it. Some are very good, some are crap so watch a selection.

I do agree with Larry that read and read and research and read will do you a world of good - in any field - as long as you eventually take a break to do - buy and build! ;o)

Hopefully, if you have the same experience as I and many others have had then your first build will be accompanied by two thoughts: "Phew, it worked first time" and "That was a lot easier than I expected".

Have fun. :-)

It was meant to be more funny than scary..lol..But, yes, do build a pc, it's enjoyable for sure! I can still remember my first light bright, don't stick your finger in the socket with it plugged in!
February 20, 2013 12:40:43 PM

@Larry: "It was meant to be more funny than scary..lol."

Lol. And I've just come back to the thread to add, albeit off topic, that I didn't want to seem to be knocking your curiosity about electronics. It's great that you had it and got to indulge, and hopefully you have been, or will be, able to make use of it with a few projects involving a breadboard, a microcontroller and some chips?

I can still remember my first light bright, don't stick your finger in the socket with it plugged in!

And I can attest to the, er, excitement of touching parts in an opened power supply having only just turned the PC off. ;o)
!