Sign in with
Your question

Inacceptable brand new MSI Ati 7870 hawk

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2013 12:03:32 PM

Hello guys, I feel really angry now. Bought a MSI R7870 Hawk edition ati radeon hd7870 graphic card for my new pc with following spec:

Asus Maximus V gene
Intel i5 3570K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Crucial m4 120 Go
WD Black Caviar 2 To
Kingston Hyperx Beast 8 Go 1600Mhz
Corsair GS600W
Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower

Everything worked perfectly until today, I have installed the new graphic card from ATI.
-The installation was easy
-the connection to the monitor(HDMI) was easy.
-The PC recognize the graphic card, the installation of the newest driver from official ATI siteweb was simple
(http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w_vista64.aspx)
-I don't touch any configuration from Catalyst Control Center.

I launched the first game, sleeping dogs, after the cinematic, troubles are coming. The display suddenly changed to this picture,

and the PC is totally frozen, with some strange gizzy sound from the speaker. I cannot do anything, not ctrl+alt+del, nor alt+f4. The only thing I can do is to press on the reset button of the PC.

I tried with Diablo 3 too, same thing was happened to me. It happened very randomly. sometime 5 minutes after I launched the game, sometime 20 minutes.

I tried with League of legends too, this game has the worst situation, the problem happened 3 or 4 time during one match. Very annoying. Sometime the screen has the picture i linked, some time it is black screen with some game sound repeat infinitely...

i tried reinstall the driver, nothing changes. I am about to break my pc in two if it continues. So I tried to calm down and look for some help here. I would really appreciate if you can give me some advice. Thank you in advance.
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 12:12:56 PM

Is your Card Overheating? Check it through MSI Afterburner.

Mostly when a guys says that he is getting crashes and Black\White\Yellow etc. screens, his card is Faulty.
So I would recommend you to Replace the card as it is new.
January 3, 2013 1:57:46 PM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Is your Card Overheating? Check it through MSI Afterburner.

Mostly when a guys says that he is getting crashes and Black\White\Yellow etc. screens, his card is Faulty.
So I would recommend you to Replace the card as it is new.

I checked the temp of the card during heavy session Diablo 3 games, it was around 50. I don't think it overheats.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 2:12:20 PM

+1 to Sumukh about the GPU being faulty. I've seen cards to do this when they're a few years old and dying. Your's may be new, but definitely appears faulty.
January 4, 2013 12:00:05 PM

Re guys, here are some updates of the situation. So as many members said, I set the DRAM Frenquency to Auto. It seem to be down to 1333MHz.

I also installed the new driver from MSI official site web. It is an older ati driver, but update on december 2012 on MSI siteweb.

This morning I ran the Heaven directx11 benchmark with everythintg max out. I get terrible score.

So nothing happened during the benchmark. But I keep getting black screen and system crash during League of legends games and Diablo 3 and Sleeping dogs. Really disappointed with this graphic card which should be viable according to my research in google. Is it supposed to be like this for a MSI Military Class graphic card? 960 scores for heaven directx11 benchmark? I feel really duped by their marketing "Military Class".

Well I find similary topic in other forums about the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 7870 OC too suffering the same problem. It seems that I am not the only one getting this annoying problem. I still don't find anyone who has solved this problem. Sad.

Asking a RMA right now.
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2013 12:03:20 PM

Most Sapphire 7870 cards have BSOD problems.

And if you ask the other guy in the Thread about his Experience with Sapphire, you'll blow :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2013 12:19:01 PM

Er... what did you think 'Military Class' meant? That this is the card US army generals use to play Borderlands? :-) It's obviously a BS marketing term - it means nothing.
January 4, 2013 1:42:29 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Er... what did you think 'Military Class' meant? That this is the card US army generals use to play Borderlands? :-) It's obviously a BS marketing term - it means nothing.

hahaha. So what do you guys think I should do now? Exchange my current one with a new 7870 or switch to a GTX 660ti so that I can leave this problem behind me forever?

I usually take Nvidia cards. But this time, the 660ti is a bit too expensive for me and I don't find that it performs much better than 7807. Any advice please? Thank you
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2013 2:59:27 PM

bishopi5 said:
i RMA'd 2x 7870's in a week. now have a 680 that cost me $11 and will never look at ATI again, GO THE 660 TI man !... Ull NEVER regret it

Haha sounds like you got a bargain! What was wrong with the 7870s?
January 5, 2013 6:59:02 AM

New update! I downclock the GPU core clock to 1050 MHz(1100 factory OC) and now I have played League of Legends for 2 hours, no one crash. I will test more games, but I think it is not the card's fault, but a gpu core clock and gpu voltage compability. I also increased my gpu voltage by 0.03. I don't know if it affects anything.
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 7:33:56 AM

So, it was a Unstable Overclock.
You would have told us before that you have OC the card. ;) 
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 8:17:05 AM

He did not OC the card. It was OCed by the factory to 1100 mhz. Its def a factory fault and I would still replace it because that card was meant to reach 1100mhz and its not.
January 5, 2013 8:42:06 AM

yes. I will definitely RMA this card.
!