Sign in with
Your question

7970 only has 1 DVI port, i have 3 monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2013 12:58:50 PM

Hey guys, someone told me to get a 7970 so i did and got this one

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

I just now realize after the order is processing (so i can't change it) that the 7970 only has 1 DVI port

I have 3x the same monitor, Acer x223w which only has 1 VGA and 1 DVI port

In my current setup on my 5770 i am running DVI, DVI, DP and Eyefinity (and 3x extended desktops) works fine

Given now that i can't go DVI-DVI-DP, is there any way with my current monitors and the card i am getting to still plug my 3 monitors in the 7970 and have them working?

More about : 7970 dvi port monitors

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 3, 2013 1:08:44 PM

go dvi-dp.
dp has the capability to run 2 monitors simultaneously.
use the dvi to connect to the main monitor and the dp to connect to the 2 secondary ones.
m
l
January 3, 2013 1:09:07 PM

1 goes to the dvi, 1 to the HDMI and one to the mini. You are gonna need adaptors to do that.

Go to an electronics store and ask them for DVI to HDMI and DVI to mini-HDMI. i think they cost around 10 bucks but you have to crosscheck online as i dont live in the US.

Dont use the VGA port. even though there are dvi to vga adaptors they dont work on the VGA end of the monitor in most cases.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 3, 2013 1:09:15 PM

go dvi-dp.
use the dvi to connect to the main monitor and the dp to connect to the 2 secondary ones.
m
l
January 3, 2013 1:12:10 PM

mortuum said:
1 goes to the dvi, 1 to the HDMI and one to the mini. You are gonna need adaptors to do that.

Go to an electronics store and ask them for DVI to HDMI and DVI to mini-HDMI. i think they cost around 10 bucks but you have to crosscheck online as i dont live in the US.

Dont use the VGA port. even though there are dvi to vga adaptors they dont work on the VGA end of the monitor in most cases.

Are you sure Eyefinity will work if i go

DVI -> DVI

DVI-> HDMI (with an adapter)

and my current DVI -> DP adapter?
m
l
January 3, 2013 1:13:27 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
go dvi-dp.

I don't understand this reply
m
l
January 3, 2013 2:11:19 PM

Whatever you do, make sure you get ACTIVE dp adaptors. Those are necessary for Eye of Infinity; otherwise you'll end up cloning a display.

Found that out the hard way.
m
l
January 3, 2013 2:28:59 PM

aramisathei said:
Whatever you do, make sure you get ACTIVE dp adaptors. Those are necessary for Eye of Infinity; otherwise you'll end up cloning a display.

Found that out the hard way.

Yes i know, i have one currently but it's costly...

Is there such a thing as DVI -> HDMI adapter that don't cost too much and would work with my setup?

Otherwise i might be better off sending the 7970 back and getting a GTX 680...
m
l
January 3, 2013 2:40:49 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_i...

Fast service, great cables.

That's cool but i need to know before buying a cable if a setup like this would be ok

DVI -> DVI

DVI -> HDMI

DVI -> Display Port

Is it ok as long as i have 1 Display Port like i have currently on my 5770? my 5770 has 2 DVI ports
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 3, 2013 3:30:06 PM

do 1 thing....connect the main monitor directly to the dvi.

daisy chain the other 2 monitors using a vga cable and connect any one of them to the dp-dvi.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 4:17:09 PM

BeBen said:
That's cool but i need to know before buying a cable if a setup like this would be ok

DVI -> DVI

DVI -> HDMI

DVI -> Display Port

Is it ok as long as i have 1 Display Port like i have currently on my 5770? my 5770 has 2 DVI ports

Yes, this should work.
m
l
!