Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Asus GTX 680 4GB SLI crashes when trying to load game.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 3, 2013 1:21:28 PM

Hi Guys,

I just purchased and installed 2 x Asus 4GB GTX 680's yesterday and am having major issues trying to load any game in SLI. Previously, I was running 2 x HiS Iceqx Turbo HD 6950's without any issue.

The Nvidia control panel allows me to enable SLI, but won't load any game, it just freezes in any of the games initial loading screens. I can watch youtube etc with it enabled, just can't load any games (tried SC2, BF3 and CSGO)

The games work if I disable SLI without issue. Here's what I've tried so far:

-Reformat with fresh driver install of the latest Nvidia drivers.
-Swapped cards to both run individually in Slot 1; they run individually without issue.
-Made sure Direct x 11 was up to date.
-Tried 2 different SLI bridges.

What I plan to try after work:
-Run 1 single card in the 2nd slot to see if there is a problem with that slot (all of a sudden, which as mentioned before worked %100 fine with the 6950 before I installed the 680GTX)

Anyone have anything else to try here? I am at my wit's end and am planning on returning these cards if I can't get it to work.

System Specs:

i5 2500K @ 4.4 ghz
1000W PSU
Asus P8z68-v pro
16 gb patriot ram


Thanks for any help offered.
January 3, 2013 2:27:55 PM

Thanks for answer however as mentioned

-Swapped cards to both run individually in Slot 1; they run individually without issue.

Score
0
January 3, 2013 2:32:23 PM

Try reverting your CPU overclock back to stock to see if that helps.

You may end up having to bump vcore just a hair more to maintain the overclock with the additional power draw as it is drawing more power so there may be a slight more ripple in the 12v line with this new load causing instability.
Score
0
Related resources
January 3, 2013 2:35:49 PM

Not sure myself, though possibly, could be something in the bios worth looking into?
Score
0
January 3, 2013 2:38:41 PM

Thanks for replies guys - keep em coming if there's anything else recommended in this situation - JamesSneed, I was thinking the same thing, I will play with the vcore a little bit to see. Appreciate it guys/gals - seriously.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 2:48:49 PM

Glad to help. I would just revert the overclock to stock so your 100% sure its not the CPU OC. If that does it then start the OC process again to get a stable OC.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 2:53:51 PM

Had the same issue with a pair of 580's turned out to be a bad sli bridge. could do exactly what your doing, they would work fine non-sli and could swap slots but as soon as you enable sli games would crash.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 2:58:17 PM

Wait don't 680's use LESS power than 6950's?
Score
0
January 3, 2013 3:04:54 PM

Derza10 said:
Wait don't 680's use LESS power than 6950's?



Nope, the 680 draws more power. A 72 watt difference via OCCT testing which would be 144 watts more with two of them. Im not saying its the CPU OC but I am suggesting a revert because its a variable that could cause this and its easy to check.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/510?vs=555
Score
0
January 3, 2013 3:13:34 PM

Ok will do. Also, do I need to run more than 1 SLI bridge? There is room for 2, I can't see how or why I'd need more than 1, just curious. Also, with those 2 spots for SLI, does it matter which chip I connect them to? Closer to DVI output or closer to middle of case matter?
Score
0
January 3, 2013 3:36:44 PM

JamesSneed said:
Nope, the 680 draws more power. A 72 watt difference via OCCT testing which would be 144 watts more with two of them. Im not saying its the CPU OC but I am suggesting a revert because its a variable that could cause this and its easy to check.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/510?vs=555


That seems wrong... From the specs of each card the max draw of the 6950 is 225w while the 680 is 195w.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/12/16/ati-radeon-...

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

Score
0
January 3, 2013 3:49:23 PM

Derza10 said:
That seems wrong... From the specs of each card the max draw of the 6950 is 225w while the 680 is 195w.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/12/16/ati-radeon-...

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...



Your comparing apples to oranges, actual tests versus specs. See bottom chart for load comparison from another site. Im not going to argue the point any further.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/03/22/nvidia-gefo...
Score
0
January 3, 2013 3:53:43 PM

hollick said:
Ok will do. Also, do I need to run more than 1 SLI bridge? There is room for 2, I can't see how or why I'd need more than 1, just curious. Also, with those 2 spots for SLI, does it matter which chip I connect them to? Closer to DVI output or closer to middle of case matter?



the extra spot is for running 3way sli... only one sli bridge is needed and it does not matter which set you use
Score
0
January 3, 2013 3:54:01 PM

Maximum power usage with 2x 6950 and 2x 680 should be similar, so I doubt they're messing with your CPU overclock -- especially not when launching a game.

Is it a hard freeze, BSOD, or do the games just crash? Do the cards have any sort of OC?
Score
0
January 3, 2013 4:07:26 PM

faalin said:
the extra spot is for running 3way sli... only one sli bridge is needed and it does not matter which set you use


Thanks for clarification, that's what I was thinking just wanted to make sure all bases are covered here.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 4:10:25 PM

JamesSneed said:
Your comparing apples to oranges, actual tests versus specs. See bottom chart for load comparison from another site. Im not going to argue the point any further.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/03/22/nvidia-gefo...


System power consumption (load)
6950: 210W
680: 256W

What am I missing here? Where does it say SLI 680s use 144W more than Crossfire 6950s?
Score
0
January 3, 2013 4:12:04 PM

hapkido said:
Maximum power usage with 2x 6950 and 2x 680 should be similar, so I doubt they're messing with your CPU overclock -- especially not when launching a game.

Is it a hard freeze, BSOD, or do the games just crash? Do the cards have any sort of OC?


Hapkido thanks for the reply. The games just go to "Not responding" and have to be closed with ctrl alt + delete. With Starcraft 2 the loading screen appears but flickers a bit, then goes black and to "Not responding". With CSGO, The very beginning audio sounds loop and it's stuck on the "Powered by Source Engine" screen then goes to my steam library screen but still frozen and "Not responding".

I also get this "SLi" graphic before it crashes too:



Note: This picture was taken from google images to show the graphic I'm talking about, and isn't of Counter Strike Source on my machine.


Hope that wasn't too confusing. Not sure if you have any of those games but tried to be descriptive as to how quickly the game freezes when it loads. I haven't OC'd anything on the GPU's myself. The drivers are the 310 latest's off Nvidia's site.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 4:18:49 PM

Do you use precision X? from that screen shot it seems yours is outdated, not sure if that will fix anything though but worth a try.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 4:23:27 PM

Derza10 said:
Do you use precision X? from that screen shot it seems yours is outdated, not sure if that will fix anything though but worth a try.


Sorry Derza as mentioned underneath the pic, it was only a screenshot taken from google images to show the "SLi" green graphic I was talking referring to. I don't use precision X. Thanks for reply.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 4:26:56 PM

This doesn't sound PSU / overclock / power related at all to me.

Someone suggested the cause may be the SLI bridges, and that seems reasonable, although I don't know how likely it is you'd receive a bad bridge with both cards. It could be driver / software related, but I'd expect either SLI to not activate or for you to get BSOD if that were the case.

You don't need both bridges connected, but it shouldn't cause any issues if they are (I know it doesn't with crossfire). Maybe try connecting both. If that doesn't help, switch the way they're connected. That should eliminate the possibility of one bridge or one SLI port being bad -- but it still wouldn't rule out both bridges, both ports on one card, or opposing ports on each card being bad.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 4:27:22 PM

hollick said:
Sorry Derza as mentioned underneath the pic, it was only a screenshot taken from google images to show the "SLi" green graphic I was talking referring to. I don't use precision X. Thanks for reply.


Ah ok my bad I missed that.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 4:36:21 PM

hapkido said:
This doesn't sound PSU / overclock / power related at all to me.

Someone suggested the cause may be the SLI bridges, and that seems reasonable, although I don't know how likely it is you'd receive a bad bridge with both cards. It could be driver / software related, but I'd expect either SLI to not activate or for you to get BSOD if that were the case.

You don't need both bridges connected, but it shouldn't cause any issues if they are (I know it doesn't with crossfire). Maybe try connecting both. If that doesn't help, switch the way they're connected. That should eliminate the possibility of one bridge or one SLI port being bad -- but it still wouldn't rule out both bridges, both ports on one card, or opposing ports on each card being bad.


Ok thanks for in depth reply. So frustrating to spend $1200 on GPU's to get shat on with disappointment :D 
Score
0
January 3, 2013 4:49:38 PM

I for one have never gotten a sli bridge with a videocard, they are nomaly sent with the motherboard. Depending on what your board can do you get a sli bridge or sli and 3way bridge.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 4:56:36 PM

faalin said:
I for one have never gotten a sli bridge with a videocard, they are nomaly sent with the motherboard. Depending on what your board can do you get a sli bridge or sli and 3way bridge.


Yes I tried both the Asus bridge included in my Mobo box as well as one purchased from same store I got my 680's from. Thanks.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 5:19:51 PM

faalin said:
I for one have never gotten a sli bridge with a videocard, they are nomaly sent with the motherboard. Depending on what your board can do you get a sli bridge or sli and 3way bridge.


Wow, I didn't know Nvidia cards didn't come with SLI bridges (I haven't purchased an Nvidia card in a while and the one I did was entry-level). Crossfire capable AMD cards usually come with a bridge -- both of my 5850s did.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 5:19:56 PM

I will try changing the bridge around some more I guess, will also try the default cpu and vcore clocks as well. If not, will probably just take it to some Tech Squad business that support gaming PC's and have them fix it if the price is right. Or just straight up return both cards, still undecided. Truly baffling.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 8:04:53 PM

Have you tried playing one of these games under another user account in windows just in case its something else completely random installed on your account?

never mind, read you fresh installed, sorry.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 8:11:01 PM

hollick said:
Hi Guys,

I just purchased and installed 2 x Asus 4GB GTX 680's yesterday and am having major issues trying to load any game in SLI. Previously, I was running 2 x HiS Iceqx Turbo HD 6950's without any issue.

The Nvidia control panel allows me to enable SLI, but won't load any game, it just freezes in any of the games initial loading screens. I can watch youtube etc with it enabled, just can't load any games (tried SC2, BF3 and CSGO)

The games work if I disable SLI without issue. Here's what I've tried so far:

-Reformat with fresh driver install of the latest Nvidia drivers.
-Swapped cards to both run individually in Slot 1; they run individually without issue.
-Made sure Direct x 11 was up to date.
-Tried 2 different SLI bridges.

What I plan to try after work:
-Run 1 single card in the 2nd slot to see if there is a problem with that slot (all of a sudden, which as mentioned before worked %100 fine with the 6950 before I installed the 680GTX)

Anyone have anything else to try here? I am at my wit's end and am planning on returning these cards if I can't get it to work.

System Specs:

i5 2500K @ 4.4 ghz
1000W PSU
Asus P8z68-v pro
16 gb patriot ram


Thanks for any help offered.




What is the brand and model of your 1000W PSU?
Score
0
January 4, 2013 12:45:02 AM

hapkido said:
System power consumption (load)
6950: 210W
680: 256W

What am I missing here? Where does it say SLI 680s use 144W more than Crossfire 6950s?


That is because when I said 144 watts it was in the post above the one you are referencing which had a different link to: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/510?vs=555 than my second post clarifying that 680's due draw more power than 6950's.

Take a look at the OCCT test ^ that I referenced on Anandtech. In another words, 6950: 261W vs 680: 333W is a 72 watt difference which is 72x2 for SLI which is 144 watts.

Yes different loads influence power consumption so different tests done by different review sites get different results just like different post referencing diffident sites with diffident info do as well.
Score
0
!