Sign in with
Your question

First gaming pc - help needed!

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
February 20, 2013 3:08:46 PM

I'm in the process of building my first gaming pc, and I need some advice. Please note: I bought parts with a mindset that I didn't want the highest end gaming pc possible, but just a strong build to begin with that I can improve over time if need be.

Firstly, I wonder if anyone might take a look at the parts I'm using, just to check if they think everything is a-okay? Parts are as follows:

Case: Novatech Night Midi Case (with fan built in)(http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cas...)
PSU: The bundle came with a Novatech 500W ATX - but I've ordered a Novatech Powerstation 700W Silent ATX2 Modular Power Supply, as I think a higher voltage is a safer option.
Motherboard: Intel GIGABYTE GA-Z77P-D3
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX660 (2GB GDDR5, HDMI)
Optical drive: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive
SSD: Samsung 840 SATA 6GB/S 2.5 SSD 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200RPM 6GB/S 1TB
Sound card: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card
Network PCI: TP Link TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (*I'm hoping to move PC next to router eventually for Ethernet connection)

I'm waiting for the 700W modular PSU to arrive tomorrow, but I'm worried that I won't be able to connect it all up properly. I've tried to find a PSU modular cabling guide on Tom's Hardware and Google, but nothing is clear or detailed enough to reassure me. One of the main questions I have is - the SATA power cables I've already got have got 3 SATA connectors on each lead. Am I supposed to use all three connectors on one lead for 3 different components?

I'm sorry for the ignorance, I've never built a pc before at all.

Any help or advice is hugely appreciated.

Liam

More about : gaming needed

February 20, 2013 3:23:02 PM

looks good. you have a fast cpu with a slower card. if you didnt buy the parts just yet i would suggest going to a 3570k with a faster video card as 3770k offers hyperthreading that does not give big improvements in games
i also dont understand why you bought a dedicated sound card without listening to the integrated one first...new integrated sound cards are not bad at all

"One of the main questions I have is - the SATA power cables I've already got have got 3 SATA connectors on each lead. Am I supposed to use all three connectors on one lead for 3 different components? "

umm no you dont have to use all of the connectors they split those cables up because one loop will go towards the optical drive while other will go lower towards the hard drives..

so when it comes to wiring stuff once you have the mobo installed with cpu ram and backplate you will connect the 24 pin to motherboard, 8 pin to cpu, you will connect your hard drives and optical drives with molex or the thinner black connects, connect the video card to power, connect front panel power and reset switch to motherboards header (diagram found in the motherboard's manual)

hope this clears things up a bit
February 20, 2013 3:23:41 PM

I would go to the the i5-3570K, then use the extra monay to get a better GPU.
Related resources
February 20, 2013 3:31:20 PM

yeah you can use the 3 connectors, that is how i did mine. I dont think you really need a sound card though, your mobo has HD audio. If you were to put together a little more money to get a 660ti or 670, it would be worth it imo. I'd get an aftermarket heat sink too, the intel one isnt very good.
a c 280 4 Gaming
February 20, 2013 3:32:57 PM

bogo663 said:
I would go to the the i5-3570K, then use the extra monay to get a better GPU.

You could also drop the sound card and increase your GPU budget even further.
Anonymous
February 20, 2013 3:37:04 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I should have mentioned, the sound card was given to me months ago, so I was going to stick it in anyway. I'll sell it on in that case.

I've already got the parts, and I can't return them - but I might sell the i7 to a friend and get an i5 in a few weeks. Thanks for the advice on that too.

Tomorrow, when I've double checked everything and I think I'm ready to try to boot it up first time, is there anything I should remember? I'm terrified I'll switch it on things/all of it will blow up and waste a lot of money.
a c 280 4 Gaming
February 20, 2013 3:39:26 PM

Anonymous said:
Thank you all for your replies. I should have mentioned, the sound card was given to me months ago, so I was going to stick it in anyway. I'll sell it on in that case.

I've already got the parts, and I can't return them - but I might sell the i7 to a friend and get an i5 in a few weeks. Thanks for the advice on that too.

Tomorrow, when I've double checked everything and I think I'm ready to try to boot it up first time, is there anything I should remember? I'm terrified I'll switch it on things/all of it will blow up and waste a lot of money.

As long as you've got a good power supply the chances of that happening are slim to nil.
a c 280 4 Gaming
February 20, 2013 3:39:33 PM

double post
Anonymous
February 20, 2013 3:55:50 PM

That's all fine.

Thanks again for your advice all!

Liam
!