Sign in with
Your question

My hd 7950 cant play farcry 3 past medium no msaa

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2013 1:25:41 PM

Can anyone please help me. I'm really struggling with my hd 7950 and farcry 3. I can only play with medium settings and no msaa and I still at times get a stutter! I thought I could play this game with high settings at least. My processor is a phenom ii x4 975 be o/c 4ghz. cooling in my case is good and temps on my card are great. :fou: 
January 3, 2013 1:36:40 PM

Are your drivers up to date (12.11 beta 11) and on a clean driver install?
January 3, 2013 1:45:58 PM

BigMack70 said:
Are your drivers up to date (12.11 beta 11) and on a clean driver install?

Im using 12.11 and cap 2. Maybe I should uninstall my drivers again.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 3, 2013 1:58:07 PM

I'm running a 7950 oc'd to 1100 and a 2500k at 4Ghz.

I play at 1080p and my Far Cry 3 settings are on Ultra, all options on maximum with 2xMSAA.

With these settings I get between 40 - 65 fps.....with it mostly staying around the 55 fps area.

January 3, 2013 2:03:38 PM

bigirishman said:
Can anyone please help me. I'm really struggling with my hd 7950 and farcry 3. I can only play with medium settings and no msaa and I still at times get a stutter! I thought I could play this game with high settings at least. My processor is a phenom ii x4 975 be o/c 4ghz. cooling in my case is good and temps on my card are great. :fou: 

I know your pain my buddy, lol. First off the Phenom II even at 4.0ghz still holds back the HD7950 quite alot. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics...

I personally have my X6 at 4.0ghz, with my North bridge overclocked to 2600mhz as well. I still have the same problems. Oh and my HD7950 is clocked at 1000mhz core and 1500mhz on the memory, but that doesn't seem to make any differance in Farcry 3. So I'm thinking it has to be a CPU bottleneck.

Basically I think that v-sync in the game is messed up, so the first thing you should do is force V-Sync(always on) through the CCC and turn on tripple buffering. Make sure that morphalogical filtering and surface format optimization are not checked while your in there as well.

In the game I set 1 frame thread lag(v-sync) to 1, and I also set pre-rendered frames to 1. Turn off AA alltogether, and you have to change the rest of the settings to a mix of High/very high. The only setting I highly recommend setting to medium is the water. I noticed the largest increase in FPS happened when I lowered the water to medium.

Hope some of this helps you till either a better driver, or new patch comes out to resolve the issues with stutter. It's a real pain when even fraps shows a good bit higher FPS than 30 but it stutters unless you can get the game to run at a solid 60 fps. I even tried editing the config file to cap the FPS lower and that did absolutely nothing.
January 3, 2013 2:06:58 PM

BigMack70 said:
I'd recommend following these steps, reinstalling the drivers, and seeing if that helps:
www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-uninstall-at...

Assuming we're talking about a resolution like 1080p, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to max or nearly max the game on a 7950

I have an amd chipset and a amd cpu. This guide says don't use it if I have either.
January 3, 2013 2:08:33 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhh yeah don't follow those steps with an AMD CPU. Forgot about that - sorry!
January 3, 2013 3:17:02 PM

try the 12.11_CAP2 driver. That's the newest one and made specifically for FC3. Haven't tried it so don't know if it will help or not.

But other advice about processor does weigh in here.
January 3, 2013 3:35:01 PM

I've noticed screen tearing on panning views during the game, as well as stuttering during parts where I believe the game is loading. I'm playing the game with the same card and an FX-4100 at 4.4ghz. Other than those problems, the gameplay was pretty good.
January 3, 2013 4:10:02 PM

I've sorted it. I had previously done a clean driver install which didn't work. I then uninstalled all display drivers again. But instead of installing the beta drivers to C: drive which is my ssd, I installed them to a separate file in d: drive which is where al of my games are installed and everything is running great. Im playing farcry 3 on high/ultra at 60 fps. Still a slight stutter every once and a while but hey, I can live with that. Also I took the overclock on my cpu off from 4ghz to its normal 3.6ghz aand amazingly im getting great fps. Thanks for all your help. Its like playing a totally new game.
January 3, 2013 5:02:58 PM

sincreator said:
I know your pain my buddy, lol. First off the Phenom II even at 4.0ghz still holds back the HD7950 quite alot. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics...

I personally have my X6 at 4.0ghz, with my North bridge overclocked to 2600mhz as well. I still have the same problems. Oh and my HD7950 is clocked at 1000mhz core and 1500mhz on the memory, but that doesn't seem to make any differance in Farcry 3. So I'm thinking it has to be a CPU bottleneck.

Basically I think that v-sync in the game is messed up, so the first thing you should do is force V-Sync(always on) through the CCC and turn on tripple buffering. Make sure that morphalogical filtering and surface format optimization are not checked while your in there as well.

In the game I set 1 frame thread lag(v-sync) to 1, and I also set pre-rendered frames to 1. Turn off AA alltogether, and you have to change the rest of the settings to a mix of High/very high. The only setting I highly recommend setting to medium is the water. I noticed the largest increase in FPS happened when I lowered the water to medium.

Hope some of this helps you till either a better driver, or new patch comes out to resolve the issues with stutter. It's a real pain when even fraps shows a good bit higher FPS than 30 but it stutters unless you can get the game to run at a solid 60 fps. I even tried editing the config file to cap the FPS lower and that did absolutely nothing.

I sorted the issue out and im now getting 60fps on high/ultra in farcry 3. My issue was solved by removing all drivers and instead of installing them to my ssd on c: drive, I made a new file on my d: drive which has all my game installs on it, called gpu drivers and installed my amd drivers into it. There must have been a problem with loading from my ssd. Im not sure but im not too bothered at the minute cause farcry 3 looks great now. Ive tried some other games like hitman absolution and assassins creed 3 and they all work considerably better now.
January 3, 2013 5:23:00 PM

thanks for posting. useful information for future use.
!