First Custom PC

Radical14

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
This will be my first custom PC and I have shortlisted a few components, occasionally i play a few games as well....Pls suggest any changes to the configuration.........I am not looking at overclocking.

I am confused on what to choose for a GPU ? ATi or Nvidia? If Nvidia shall I go for a SLI or just one good GPU ? will 2 560Ti's work better or a single GTX 670.......for a game like Far Cry3?

Intel Core I7-3770K,

Asus Maximus V Formula ???? is this good......cause lately I have seen lot of issues with Asus on lot of forums ....if one can suggest any other reliable board with LGA 1155 socket ?

Corsair Vengeance 16Gb (8gb x2) or Gskill Trident (4gb x4)

Seasonic x760 or Antec TP750 or XFX 750W Black Edition?

120 gb SSD : Samsung 830series or Corsair Force 3 GT?

LOgitech Keyboard G105 and Mouse G100

NZXT phantom 410

Solution
I'd go for single GTX 670. I found this thread about SLI of 650ti or 670, the 670 is factory OC'd, but shouldn't be too much of a difference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276431-29-what-evga-superclocked

8GB of memory is more than enough if you're just planning on gaming. I have 6GB and it is more than what i need. Even my spare PC and friends have 4GB and it runs well enough for just gaming and simple applications.

As for the motherboard, I looked up the one you posted, the Asus Maximus V Formula. On newegg, it actually shows that it is an EATX board (extended ATX), so make sure your case can fit that, or if you even want it. In most cases, people would go for the standard ATX or mATX. As for brand, it's all preference...

drg889

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
If you're not looking to overclock at all, might as well save a few dollars and go with an i7-3770 (not the K version). For GPU's it's up to you if you want to SLI/CF, personally, unless you realllllly think you plan to utilize it, I'd stick with 1 good card, some games don't support SLI/CF or don't utilize it to it's fullest, making your investment less-worthy (but this of course, all depends whether the builder wants it or not). GTX 670 will be plenty to run a game like Far Cry 3, if you're on a bit of a budget, even the 660 ti is a very good card on its own (you can google benchmarks for some comparisons/rankings to get a general idea). It's ultimately up to you if you want an AMD or Nvidia card, usually i just go for whatever best deal i can find haha.

RAM/memory, 16GB is way more than enough, either/or works fine. Seasonic has a very good name as a brand for quality PSU's, the main things I would look at is the parts you are getting and the requirements it needs and finding a compatible and efficient PSU (i.e. making sure there is enough 6/6+2 pin connectors for GPU, has a large/powerful enough 12V rail to support it, etc.)

SSD, you can usually find a good deal every once in a while on here or SD, if you want Samsung, and want to shell out more money, you can for the newer 840 pro series.

Radical14

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
are asus motherboards good enough.....cause i have read on lot of forums that asus are good but usually develop a snag after some time.....or have startup issues.....how about gigabyte or intel ?
i am actually going for 8 gb ram as of now .... and if required will add another 8 gb?

Also for the gpu is.....SLI of gtx650ti better or a single gtx670?

drg889

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I'd go for single GTX 670. I found this thread about SLI of 650ti or 670, the 670 is factory OC'd, but shouldn't be too much of a difference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276431-29-what-evga-superclocked

8GB of memory is more than enough if you're just planning on gaming. I have 6GB and it is more than what i need. Even my spare PC and friends have 4GB and it runs well enough for just gaming and simple applications.

As for the motherboard, I looked up the one you posted, the Asus Maximus V Formula. On newegg, it actually shows that it is an EATX board (extended ATX), so make sure your case can fit that, or if you even want it. In most cases, people would go for the standard ATX or mATX. As for brand, it's all preference, shouldn't matter too much as long as it doesn't have tons of reviews claiming the same problem. I've used an entry level Gigabyte board for years and it still goes strong, but when i first got it, it had 3 dead DIMM/memory slots in it, RMA'd it and has been perfect since. Just read reviews and such, and you should be fine.

Solution