Building my own pc

skwurlpower

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
hello everyone. i am trying to build my own pc and am having a hard time trying to discern which cpu, motherboard, and videocard will be the best for my money. i currently have about $1,0000 to spend on my desktop. im confused because amd processors look so much better on paper with more cores and higher ghz on paper but i know there is more than those specs that go into performance. also, i read most games can only use 2 cores so higher ghz per core is better. im feeling overwhelmed.anyone have suggestions for my budget? i mainly play diablo3 but if im going to spend 1,000$ i would like to keep my options open for other games in the future. peeps on diablo3 suggested i come here to ask questions with my budget and they were very helpful. thank you guys for any input you have.
Skwurl

skwurlpower

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
im also confused about whether or not i should go for an ssd drive just to intall diablo3 on. alot of people who play use an ssd drive for faster load times when going to new parts of the map. the main reason why i want a new desktop is because i cant see when elites are shielding. im assuming this is because of my videocard because i use an all in one pc currently. one more thing if u guys have time. ive read through about half of the compita's A+ certification textbook and i dont feel like ive learned enough from it to be able to work on pc's. do you guys have any websites or books i can read to help me become more informed? i was looking at a technical college that goes for 1 year for pc tech but its a commute and i asked my professors at the community college that is within 1mile from where i live and they said that employers dont look for what school you went to and they only care about the A+ cert. So i can take a hardware and software class at the community college which probably wont help much or i can try for the technical college which is a long commute. I am such a noob. I need help please.

" i read most games can only use 2 cores so higher ghz per core is better" actually its better to have a higher clocked quad core vs more cores at lower speeds now

heres a 1k build

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes (RR-B10-212P-G1)

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHZ OC 2 GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11199-19-20G

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333MHz (PC3-10666) 240-Pin. Desktop Memory F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

Hard drive: WD Black 500 GB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA III, 64 MB Cache, 5 Year Warranty - WD5003AZEX

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition VN400A1W2N-B No PS Mid Tower Case

Optical Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST

+ add a 550-650 watt power supply from antec or corsair

edit: as for ssd's they are expensive and you have a small budged so i'd say stay with a regular hard drive. in the future you can always upgrade

skwurlpower

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
thank you alvine and lost gamer for your help. i can handle going a little over budget. i just asked my friend about overclocking and he said its not really necessary, voids the warranty, and shortens the lifespan of the cpu. i assume you guys know what you are talking about though. im not too concerned about a shortened lifespan because every computer i have ever owned has become ridiculously outdated before any parts on it have crashed. even the cpu did crash after a few years i could just replace it.

You could always downgrade the CPU to an i5-3570 non-k version then. Silent and great cooling will still be good for you, stock cooling isn't something I would recommend. I hope you get your rig together soon, so you can do some proper gaming! Good luck! :)

g-unit1111

Titan

They look better on paper but really they're not. There's no AMD CPU that comes close to matching its' Intel counterpart in terms of sheer processing power.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($79.20 @ Newegg)
Total: $980.10
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-20 13:55 EST-0500)