Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need a few recommendations and review of my build please

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2013 4:05:23 PM

Hi Everyone! This build is actually for my girlfriend's father.

Approximate Purchase Date: This weekend, Sunday at Microcenter in Tustin, CA.

Budget Range: $1000-$1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (He likes playing Black Ops and a few other online games), Surfing the internet, Watching movies

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Buying everything new except for three HDD which we'll use from his old computer

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, Windows 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.newegg.com and www.microcenter.com

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Maybe (her father might try but not sure)

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Not sure but I think he'll be buying a new one later down the road

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: His old computer has been failing for the last year and he feels it's time for an upgrade. He wants a fast computer that will be able to handle lots of photo editing (got a new dslr camera) and play a few games at the highest video setting.

*****We did want to try water cooling which is why we chose the Corsair Hydro Series H100i because it seems to be recommended with the Corsair Vengeance Case. However, we would value your opinion if you could give us your opinion if it would be worth it or should we stick with the Cooler Master Heatsink Plus.*****

Here are the parts we've looked at so far:

Case - $119.99
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard - $179.99 ($50 discount with processor = $129.99)
GIGABYTE GA-Z77xUD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor - $189.99
Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHZ LGA 1155

Power Supply - $119.99 ($20 instant savings and $20 mail in rebate = $79.99)
CORSAIR CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Solid State Drive - $98.99 ($20 discount if purchasing processor and motherboard = $78.99)
Samsung 840-Series MZ-7TD120BW 120GB SATA 6.0Gb/s

RAM - $77.99 ($10 discount if purchasing processor and motherboard = $67.99)
16GB DDR3 1600 Ballistix DIMM Memory Module
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?...

Optical Drive – $16.99
Samsung 24x DVD-RW SATA Bare Drive

Windows 7 - $94.99
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Heatsink - $29.99 ($10 mail in rebate = $19.99)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm CPU Cooler compatible with Intel 1155

Water Cooler - $109.99
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-181-...

If someone could also give a good recommendation on a graphic card maybe around $300 or so that would get the best bang for it's buck. Thank you!

If this is too long, here's a summary:
-Experts and professionals, please review and offer your opinion on the parts we have choose.
-Water Cooling vs. Heatsink. Which would be better for our profile?
-Recommendation on great video card. Either nVidia or AMD.

Thanks for your time and help! :hello: 

Best solution

February 20, 2013 4:19:04 PM

Hey Tustin, my neck of the woods. :lol: 

Corsair makes some great cases but the C70 doesn't have the best air flow when compared to the Graphite 600T and the Carbide 500R. Also the liquid cooler isn't really needed - stick with a strong air fan. If you really want to try liquid cooling the H100 is pretty much a plastic toy when compared with a real 3 or 4 fan open liquid cooling solution. The case I picked out is practically made for such a solution when you decide you're ready for it. You could also get a less expensive motherboard and a better power supply and GPU.

Here is what I would suggest for $1500:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($148.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($93.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($237.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($165.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: NZXT HALE 90 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($132.72 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($79.20 @ Newegg)
Total: $1498.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-20 13:18 EST-0500)
February 20, 2013 5:33:15 PM

Is the Noctua cooler worth the extra $30? It seems to have almost the same specs as the Cooler Master except with two fans instead of one?

Thanks for the case recommendation! I'll run it by him now and hopefully get an answer tonight.

The reason why I went with the Samsung SSD and Ballistix memory was because there's a "Build Your Own Computer" even/sale at Microcenter this month and they're offering a lower price on those if you buy a motherboard and processor. (Plus we were thinking of getting the warranty on the SSD there for only $10/2 years, just to make sure it can be replaced in case it fails)
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2013 6:20:14 PM

Quote:
Is the Noctua cooler worth the extra $30? It seems to have almost the same specs as the Cooler Master except with two fans instead of one?

The Noctua heat sinks are widely known as among the best you can buy. Their fans are very solidly constructed as well - no cheap plastic fans. Plus they also include really good thermal compound.

Quote:
The reason why I went with the Samsung SSD and Ballistix memory was because there's a "Build Your Own Computer" even/sale at Microcenter this month and they're offering a lower price on those if you buy a motherboard and processor. (Plus we were thinking of getting the warranty on the SSD there for only $10/2 years, just to make sure it can be replaced in case it fails)

Nothing wrong with either. I like the OCZ Vector because it matches and even beats the 840 Pro in most read - write tests. Crucial RAM is good, G.Skill and Corsair are also well reputable brands.

Store warranties are a a gigantic waste of money though. The manufacturers have their own warranties and by law they have to honor them. So if you need something replaced even stores like Micro Center and Best Buy will tell you to contact the manufacturer first before contacting them, so it defeats the purpose of purchasing those extra warranties.
m
l
February 21, 2013 5:37:41 AM

We will be going with the Corsair Graphite Series 600T CC600TM Case and also the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (Very sweet video card btw and really great reviews it seems). Still in the works of convincing him between the water cooler vs the Noctua heatsink.

Also, he's arguing that he needs/wants 32 GB of RAM but I said that's really unnecessary... 16GB would be just fine. Can you ever have too much RAM?
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:24:07 PM

m00nlitblade said:
We will be going with the Corsair Graphite Series 600T CC600TM Case and also the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (Very sweet video card btw and really great reviews it seems). Still in the works of convincing him between the water cooler vs the Noctua heatsink.

Also, he's arguing that he needs/wants 32 GB of RAM but I said that's really unnecessary... 16GB would be just fine. Can you ever have too much RAM?

Unless you're setting up a RAM disk you will never ever need more than 16GB. If you're just using your PC for gaming and general usage, you won't really need more than 8GB.

Plastic water blocks are a wasted purchase - they offer no benefits that a strong air fan won't provide. If you're going to use liquid cooling use the real thing or don't use it at all.
m
l
February 21, 2013 5:21:41 PM

Best answer selected by m00nlitblade.
m
l
!