Contemplating form factor swap.

emccalment

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2012
I built what I consider to be a high end computer last year. It's the first time I haven't been on a tight budget of around $400 or less. The case I got was a standard ATX mid tower, but it's HUGE. It's probably as big as the last full tower I bought. I'm really contemplating slimming it down. I feel like if I'm going to debate slimming it down then I might as well see how far I could go.

Core system specs:
SAPPHIRE Radeon 7870HD
Intel Core i5-3570k
8GB G.SKILL 240-pin DDR3 RAM (2x4GB)
90 GB SSD

When it comes down to it, those are the only important parts of the pc. I realize I'd have to replace the motherboard and the power supply if I were to change form factors.

Is it possible to fit something like this into something as small as a miniITX slim case? I realize that the limiting factor is probably going to be motherboard capability when scaling down to the miniITX size and fitting the graphics card. Anyone have any insight on the feasibility of this?

emccalment

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2012
That's an interesting case. It's designed for the motherboard to lay horizontal so the graphics card points up?

Don't they make L shaped adapters that redirect the graphics card in a similar way for cases that don't meet the minimum 5" thickness?