Does faster internet gives you lowest latency(ping)...?

ARSHAAVIN

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Hi ALL,
I wanna ask that Does faster internet gives you lowest latency(ping)...? because i am thinking to migrate speed from
2 to 8Mbps so i really wanna be sure about this.
Thank You.

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
wow,

ok mr arshaavin, Ping itself generally is a complex issue but with a few general guidelines that have been proven.

1.) Distance from pc to router, to isp. And then the distance and speed provided to the source of the data you are requesting.

Like PC1 from mexico to Live streaming music in china...the distance alone because of many reasons....creates ping. The best way to provide the best performance to you is to work on your end, and shop around and try isp's. Try to do as much research as you can. Everyone says they are the best XD

2.)Line quality. The most established and recommended isp's usually are doing something right. Look for customer complaints...If there is more bad then good...and it's not an issue that's been addressed...then invest elsewhere.

Is it all copper/fiber/satalites/wifi?? 3g??4g?? ? Is it well maintained and run in minimal distances...are repeaters placed effectively? are they bandwidth capped/ throttled? How many customers are on a single node?

Often "upgradeing" to higher bandwidth services, can decrease ping...by placeing you on a node that has a higher threshold. 10gbit nodes. with 100 customers, would provide 10mbs constant to all users, or more. It would take less time to handle your requests for data.

3.) speed!

Of your pc, and it's devices...speed and capabilites of the router. What wire are you useing? Is it wifi? Wifi what? >3g/4g> etc

Generally wireless devices mostly perform poorly in terms of ping...except for maybe wifi-n dual band/channel. In my personal experiences and research thus far.

But there are some devices that are designed better...What are you using?

ARSHAAVIN

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
thanks for replying i m using 450tc router......LAN.....
and i really face lag during online gameplay on my console PS3 smtimes ...m just trying to get rid of it .......that why i was confused about the better speed ,does it give better ping. but got all what you said .

Daemonic Unicorn

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
To put simply, Ping is the time it takes for the data you send to travel to its destination and back again. Typically, DSL and Cable connections have the lowest Ping, but it greatly depends on location and infrastructure.

Your Ping will most likely not change if you upgrade from 2Mbps to 8Mbps, but you will notice a significant increase in download speeds.

Also bear in mind that wireless connections, such as wireless routers and modems have the potential to greatly impact latency, so try to use wired connections wherever possible.