Sign in with
Your question

Computer turns on and off and on and off etc.

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2013 7:07:20 PM

Hello,
I've had this gaming rig for about a week (friend gave it to me) and it worked fine as of last night but when I got home today it turns on for about 5 seconds (nothing appears on my monitor) and then off for about 10 and repeats this until I turn the switch on the back of the power supply off. I doubt it is the power supply because lights on the sound card light up when the power supply is on and the computer is off, so I believe it is the mobo.
Heres the system:
Intel Core 2 9650 @3GHz
8 gigs of 1066MHz ddr2 RAM
Asus Rampage Formula Mobo
Nvidia 8600 EVGA vid card (was about to upgrade)
500 watt Thermaltake Power supply
P.S. I've unplugged every power cord and replugged them back in 3 times and I've taken the little battery out to reset the bios, no help.

More about : computer turns

February 20, 2013 7:16:13 PM

tardman52 said:
Hello,
I've had this gaming rig for about a week (friend gave it to me) and it worked fine as of last night but when I got home today it turns on for about 5 seconds (nothing appears on my monitor) and then off for about 10 and repeats this until I turn the switch on the back of the power supply off. I doubt it is the power supply because lights on the sound card light up when the power supply is on and the computer is off, so I believe it is the mobo.
Heres the system:
Intel Core 2 9650 @3GHz
8 gigs of 1066MHz ddr2 RAM
Asus Rampage Formula Mobo
Nvidia 8600 EVGA vid card (was about to upgrade)
500 watt Thermaltake Power supply
P.S. I've unplugged every power cord and replugged them back in 3 times and I've taken the little battery out to reset the bios, no help.

You might try putting the bios settings to defaults. That could be causing an issue.

I doubt it is the power supply. More likely a motherboard / CPU error.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 20, 2013 7:18:01 PM

Just because the lights on the sound card come on does not mean you are getting the correct voltage on your 12 volt rail. It could be the motherboard or the PSU. Do you have a spare PSU you can test your system on?
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2013 7:21:36 PM

jrgray93 said:
You might try putting the bios settings to defaults. That could be causing an issue.

I doubt it is the power supply. More likely a motherboard / CPU error.

I just replaced the little battery with a new one and it made me reset my bios settings (as it should've) and it booted fine, could it have been a dead battery?
m
l
February 20, 2013 7:25:35 PM

tardman52 said:
I just replaced the little battery with a new one and it made me reset my bios settings (as it should've) and it booted fine, could it have been a dead battery?

It most certainly could have. The CMOS battery going bad can cause boot errors and missing information.
m
l
February 20, 2013 7:30:32 PM

jrgray93 said:
It most certainly could have. The CMOS battery going bad can cause boot errors and missing information.

I think it was, I just replaced the battery in my other pre built HP and it is doing something similar to what this one was doing, thanks for the help everyone
m
l
!