Custom Built Setup With Gaming Issues

StonedMachine3000

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Hello, i have recently purchased the entire hardware, and built my new pc.
However, it keeps shutting down my games simply saying that the game/program stopped working.

This occur's on most Games such as BF3, MOHW, Assassin's creed 3 etc..

Here is my specs

Tower : Antec Nine hundred
CPU : intel i7-3770k 3.6Ghz
Motherboard : Asus Sabertooth Z77 [ivy bridge]
Graphics card : Zotac Gefore GTX 680 2Gb
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 412S
Harddrive : Western Digital 500Gb
Power Supply : BeQuiet! Pure Power 730W 80 Plus Bronze

The GTX 680 gets really hot during Gaming with video settings on High / Extreme +
and i will for sure run Dual 680 GTX's when i can afford another one.

My monitor is a 60hz XEROX, don't know what series / model. ( it's not very compatible for my setup ), yet i cannot afford the Asus 27" VG278HE 144Hz which will be the upgrade to my primary monitor.

Hope anyone have any suggestions on what might prompt this issue.

Best Regards ~

That PSU is not very good quality. It probably doesn't make its stated wattage at all. The computer could be pulling too much power and its failing. Good brands are Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic.

The gtx 680 should max any game no problem. You wouldn't need 2 of them for a few years.

StonedMachine3000

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Hi, thanks for replying so fast. I didn't think that the PSU would have any big impact on my setup as i'm using the Antec900, which is a beast cooler.
And i've seen some people running a similar setup with a 500W PSU.

About the gtx 680, it produces alot of heat, and as i'm not an expert on hardware, i'd like to know if a secondary graphics card would maybe help balance the intake power.

drg889

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Do your games just shutdown? Or does it stutter/slow down while you're playing then shut down? If just the games shutdown and not your entire PC, I'd be skeptical to whether or not it is just your GPU or not. Although it seems that the GTX 680 requires a stronger 12V rail than your current PSU has (at least the 'recommended" level).

edit: saw your reply, a 2nd card in SLI will just take more power, not balance it. As i wrote a bit above, PSU is just about the overall wattage, but also how it is distributed, i.e. needing 38A+ in 1 12V rail, rather than 30A on 2 12v rails.

The PSU is an unreliable brand and doesn't make as many watts as it says it does.

The PSU is the most important part of any rig. If it fails it can damage or destroy the other components.

Reliable brands are Corsair, Antec, XFX, seasonic.

No, a second card will not help.

You should max any game for a long time with just one 680.

StonedMachine3000

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
The games are running perfectly for a limited amount of time, i can't really say how long, and i always make sure to shut down any apps and stuff, before starting a game, but it just closes the game, and says that it stopped working.

If it is my PSU, can you recommend any?

StonedMachine3000

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Yes, but can you recommend any model of Corsair series that would suffice with my rig?

My Windows was not genuine untill a few weeks ago, when i activated it with Activate Windows NT 6.0+.

And i updated my drivers as soon as i completed the pc, don't know if the drivers could be unreliable if i installed them during my windows not being activated properly.

So you are on a pirated copy of windows? I would guess that's part of the issue. This sounds like a software/ driver problem. All the games crash but the computer/ OS keeps running? Doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me.

StonedMachine3000

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

I appreciate the help, however, do you think that if i update my drivers again, with my windows activated, it will make a difference ?

Anyway, i'm going for a new PSU, maybe you can tell me which one would be compatible with my rig?

StonedMachine3000

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Ok, next on my to do list, is get a licensed copy of windows.

Thanks, Best regards ~ Martin.