New Computer build problems. Spark and no image

TheHitchHiker

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Hello, I'm a first-time builder and I have problem with my build.

I first installed my CPU and heatsink fan, my video card and my RAM memory on my motherboard, outside of the case to test if those components worked. After installing all this, I booted the system by shorting the 2 power pins on the motherboard.

All the fans started turning and I got image and the error that there was no driver to be found (which is normal I believe, without a hard drive). But when I turned it off and retried later, I wouldn't get an image anymore, my monitor would say that it couldn't find a connection. BUT, the fans still run.

So I'm wondering if i maybe fried something (the video card?) while shorting the two pins.

Thanks already, and please help :(

jrgray93

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Do you have a hard drive to test in it? I'm not sure how you could have fried anything, unless you shorted the wrong pins, or the board is on an unsafe surface.

TheHitchHiker

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2
Video card: Radeon XFX 7750 Ghost Thermal
CPU: AMD Athlon II 651K
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance

thanks for answering so fast :)

TheHitchHiker

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
I was advised to not immediately connect the hard drive, just the above mentioned parts (forgot the power supply: OCZ ModXStream 500W), to see if anything was wrong with them.

jrgray93

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Try connecting the HDD and starting the system in a safer, in-case setup. See if that yields good results. If not, I'd say damage is a possibility.

TheHitchHiker

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

What could have happened if I would have shorted the wrong pins? Could I really have damaged something?
Because on the mobo I have, the pins were not referenced in the manual and I had to look for them myself, trying some pin sout so....

Try connecting the HDD and starting the system in a safer, in-case setup. See if that yields good results. If not, I'd say damage is a possibility.

I'll try that now, thanks.

TheHitchHiker

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Hi, so this is my first build and a lot of people on the internet recommended that first I should test my build (or at least part of it) outside of the case.

I did that, installed my video card, CPU and RAM memory onto my mobo, connected the power supply and then shorted the power pins on the mobo.
The system booted but gave me the error that it couldn't find a driver (which is normal because no hard drive was connected). When I tried this for the second time, may have accidentely shorted the two wrong pins, and now my external sometimes won't even start up, or when it does, I get no image on my monitor.

I have already checked all my (power)cables, tried it with just one RAM stick, trying both of them seperately, I checked my HDMI cable, and even pulled all of the parts out of the motherboard and re-insterted them, the only option I can think of now is that I fried something, maybe the video card? Please help me, I put a lot of money and time is this machine and I really want it to work.

Thank already, and I hope you can help :)

TheHitchHiker

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
This is my build by the way:

AMD Athlon II 651K // Corsair Vengeance 8GB // Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2 // XFX RADEON 7750 Ghost Thermal // Seagate Barracuda 1TB // OCZ ModXStream 500W

TheHitchHiker

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
I tried something for a second time (clearing the CMOS by taking out the battery) but for a longer time, and IT WORKED!
I got image and a beep and everything. So.....it's solved.
Thanks ALOT for trying to help me, this is a great forum, if this could be marked with "solved" I think that'be great for others

TheHitchHiker

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
I tried something for a second time (clearing the CMOS by taking out the battery) but for a longer time, and IT WORKED!
I got image and a beep and everything. So.....it's solved.
Thanks ALOT for trying to help me, this is a great forum, if this could be marked with "solved" I think that'be great for others