Help for first time builder

Hello I'm building my first gaming computer wanted to know if this build looks good, everything's compatible, any suggestions on better parts.I'm looking to play skyrim on high display settings.Any help is appreciated thank you.

cpu-AMD FX-8350 4.0ghz

MB-Asrock 970 Extreme3

video-Radeon HD 7850 2gb

Case- rosewill Thor v2

power-iczmodx stream pro 700w 80 plus.

ram-cosair veng. 16gb ddr3-1600
13 answers Last reply
More about help time builder
  1. If you're gaming knock that 8350 for a phenom 2 or an a10.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113280

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727


    With the money you just saved get a 7870 or 7950.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418&Tpk=7870%20gigabyte

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414


    Cut that 16gb ram down to 8gb. 8gbs is good, but 16gbs might get you 2-3 more fps in some games. 2-3 fps isn't good for 50+$ more.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

    You don't need 700w, get a 600w for a little cheaper.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

    With the money saved on the psu and ram get a cheap ssd for a real boost in load times for games.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239045

    Motherboard you got is solid.

    By the way, what's your budget?
  2. redguy54 said:
    If you're gaming knock that 8350 for a phenom 2 or an a10.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113280

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727


    With the money you just saved get a 7870 or 7950.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418&Tpk=7870%20gigabyte

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414


    Cut that 16gb ram down to 8gb. 8gbs is good, but 16gbs might get you 2-3 more fps in some games. 2-3 fps isn't good for 50+$ more.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

    You don't need 700w, get a 600w for a little cheaper.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

    With the money saved on the psu and ram get a cheap ssd for a real boost in load times for games.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239045

    Motherboard you got is solid.

    By the way, what's your budget?


    Why downgrade the CPU that significantly to the point where it would bottleneck that GPU? I don't get that one.

    And yes I would have to know the budget before parts can be suggested.
  3. Woah bottleneck the GPU? No, both of those chips will not bottleneck the 7950 or the 7870.
    Running the Phenom with a 7870 as we speak.
  4. redguy54 said:
    Woah bottle neck the GPU? No, both of those chips will not bottleneck the 7950 or the 7870.
    Running the Phenom with a 7870 as we speak.


    OK fair enough, if I was going to cut corners anywhere it would be the case - there's no reason to pay $150 for that huge of a case.
  5. g-unit1111 said:
    OK fair enough, if I was going to cut corners anywhere it would be the case - there's no reason to pay $150 for that huge of a case.

    This is very true. A mid tower will serve you well.
  6. Thanks you!I was wasn't sure on the cpu the phenom 2 looks good.
    I'm looking to spend around $800.The ssd can i have that with a regular hard drive i was looking at a seagate barracuda 1tb 7200rpm
  7. link5255 said:
    Thanks you!I was wasn't sure on the cpu the phenom 2 looks good.
    I'm looking to spend around $800.The ssd can i have that with a regular hard drive i was looking at a seagate barracuda 1tb 7200rpm


    Yes, you can run a SSD and HDD at the same time.
  8. g-unit1111 said:
    OK fair enough, if I was going to cut corners anywhere it would be the case - there's no reason to pay $150 for that huge of a case.

    I was looking at mid-towers to.But I want to upgrade down the road.more gpu's maybe water cooling.I like the room i would have to work with,but if you have suggestions for good mid-towers i would look at them.
  9. I bought the HAF 912 and it has all the room you would ever need. Fits my 7870 and hyper 212. Plenty of room to hide all your cables too.
    I hear that there are better cases then it now at that price point, but that's my suggestion.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

    If anyone can recommend a newer roomy mid tower, that would be helpful.

    Anybody got an opinion on this mid tower?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196
  10. What about the power i wanted to add a second video card to do crossfire.would either of those power supplys be strong enough or would I need more watts.
  11. link5255 said:
    Thanks you!I was wasn't sure on the cpu the phenom 2 looks good.
    I'm looking to spend around $800.The ssd can i have that with a regular hard drive i was looking at a seagate barracuda 1tb 7200rpm


    OK on an $800 budget I'd forgo the SSD initially. You can always add one later on.

    Here's what I would suggest (way better CPU than the Phenom II):

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($68.64 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $786.55
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-21 12:19 EST-0500)
  12. g-unit1111 said:
    OK on an $800 budget I'd forgo the SSD initially. You can always add one later on.

    Here's what I would suggest (way better CPU than the Phenom II):

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($68.64 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $786.55
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-21 12:19 EST-0500)


    For the cpu whats the intel i5 compared to the amd 8350 cause while gaming is my main use for the computer I'm also gonna be burning movies,bittorent running. Would the 8350 be a better choice it also only being about $10 more. Also would it be better to get a little cheaper video card like the 7850 which i plan to add a second one for crossfire or just get one good video card.
  13. link5255 said:
    For the cpu whats the intel i5 compared to the amd 8350 cause while gaming is my main use for the computer I'm also gonna be burning movies,bittorent running. Would the 8350 be a better choice it also only being about $10 more. Also would it be better to get a little cheaper video card like the 7850 which i plan to add a second one for crossfire or just get one good video card.


    Get one good video card. Getting two weaker GPUs and then settling for Crossfire usually isn't the most ideal solution.

    The i5 can handle as many tasks as the FX-8350 can. The only thing the i5 lacks is an unlocked multiplier. If you plan to overclock get the FX, if not get the i5.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product