PC freezes every 4 hours after cold boot, NO BSDs though

Modify_inc

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hello

My PC is freezing about four hours into using it, almost like clockwork. Not precise but extremely close. There are no BSDs, only freezing. I then have to forcefully shutdown and reboot and it almost always freezes again within just minutes, sometimes while it is in the process of still trying to boot up. I'm thinking heat related, because the longer I wait, the longer it will stay up the next time, thus in the morning I get about four hours out of it.

The PC is running XP and only a small DOS program, nothing more. Don't laugh, but it is not even connected to the internet and the NIC is disabled.

I use the serial port for printing receipts and two parallel ports for two old school printers. CPU is 3GHz, yes I know, overkill. Anyhow this is what I have tried with no luck:

1. Originally checked hdd for errors, sure enough it was failing, so I replaced it with a new one. While the new hdd reported NO errors, the PC was still freezing. SFC /scannow - no errors found either.

2. Memory test - no errors found (didn't really feel like this was the culprit but checked anyway)

3. CPU stays around 50C even after the first freeze, which is around four hours. Not the coolest, but shouldn't be an issue either.

4. Installed a replacement video card

5. Swapped out PSU

I'm running out of things to test other than the CPU, which at this point I'm not even sure how I would go about it.

Anyhow, I'm looking for suggestions or other possible test I could run.

Thanks for your time
Mike

Modify_inc

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

I installed a new hdd and same issue so unlikely that hdd is overheating. Originally I wanted to swapped the cable, but thought it unlikely, so I put it off. At this point though, I'm willing to try about anything, so I will be testing it tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggesting.