Sign in with
Your question

Computer totally freezes when I play

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2013 10:17:20 PM

Here's my problem.

I recently changed my rig completely. I got the motherboard and CPU shipped from US because a friend didn't need them anymore (they've been used around 1,5 years). The PSU I've had for a while aswell. But the RAM and the GPU I purchased from the store.

My computer just freezes when doing certain things. I can play Battlefield 3 for approximately 30 minutes before it freezes. Otherwise it doesn't do it. The sound starts looping and I can only hard-boot it from the button. At first I thought it was a temperature-issue and changed my case aswell. Didn't work.

At first I installed the CPU, the motherboard and the RAM to my old rig (I had a HD5770 1Gb at that time). This is when it started doing the freezes. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. It's not a heat-issue. My friend suggested that it could be that RAM could be too "good" for my motherboard. Here are some specs:

Intel Core i7 930 @ 2,80Ghz (not overclocked) 8mb cache
8 gigs (2x4) of Kingston HyperX Predator DDR3 2400MHz, CL11 1,65V (9-9-9-25-4-34-10-5) [ONLY READS 4GIGS]
MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr OC v2, 3GB GDDR5 (not overclocked)
Asus P6T LGA1366 - motherboard (I don't know much about it)
NZXT Lexa S w/ XFX 750W Core Edition Bronze
I run a Windows Ultimate x64 bit.

Apparently the motherboard only supports up to 2000MHz RAM-speed. Can this be a factor? I didn't update my BIOS either. In SiSandra it says that I've installed both RAM-combs in there but it only reads the other one.
a c 98 V Motherboard
February 20, 2013 11:54:21 PM

The RAM will downclock to the speed that the motherboard will support. The freezing issue may be related to a weak or underpowered power supply.
February 21, 2013 10:03:21 AM

Ubrales said:
The RAM will downclock to the speed that the motherboard will support. The freezing issue may be related to a weak or underpowered power supply.

I thought 750W would be enough. Especially because it's XFX.
Related resources
a c 98 V Motherboard
February 21, 2013 12:47:06 PM

yamashi said:
I thought 750W would be enough. Especially because it's XFX.

Yes, you are right! 750 watts is plenty, and XFX is a good brand.

However, there is a possibility of a bad unit slipping through the production line because of human error!
February 21, 2013 1:25:00 PM

But this started when I changed my old motherboard and ram to the new ones. Nothing before that. Could a new BIOS help anything?
February 21, 2013 2:41:09 PM

Ubrales said:
Yes, you are right! 750 watts is plenty, and XFX is a good brand.

However, there is a possibility of a bad unit slipping through the production line because of human error!

Okay, I just booted with single RAM-combs and got these results:
One of my RAM-slots was faulty. Both my combs worked in the first one but not the second one. Didn't boot at all. Changed the other comb to the third slot and now it says I have 8 gigs of RAM.

Could this be the problem? Wrong voltage due to faulty RAM-slot. Can it cause crashing?
a c 98 V Motherboard
February 21, 2013 5:57:53 PM

yamashi said:
Okay, I just booted with single RAM-combs and got these results:
One of my RAM-slots was faulty. Both my combs worked in the first one but not the second one. Didn't boot at all. Changed the other comb to the third slot and now it says I have 8 gigs of RAM.

Could this be the problem? Wrong voltage due to faulty RAM-slot. Can it cause crashing?

Yes.

For reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
February 21, 2013 6:48:16 PM

So it crashed again after 20 minutes of Battlefield 3. Just updated my BIOS to test it out. If the update doesn't work, I will just take this to the nearest retailer to get it checked. But my best guess is the PSU. I've been using it daily since July 2011.
a c 98 V Motherboard
February 21, 2013 7:43:50 PM

yamashi said:
So it crashed again after 20 minutes of Battlefield 3. Just updated my BIOS to test it out. If the update doesn't work, I will just take this to the nearest retailer to get it checked. But my best guess is the PSU. I've been using it daily since July 2011.

Certain places like MicroCenter will test your PSU for free. I hope they can test it under load (not the paper clip test).
!