Administer vs limited account

Hi

I can play AOE2 in administer account, but in a limited account the program crashes. I get to the
scenario selection screen. It crashes as soon as I start the games itself.

I have other programs that work only in administer account. So the problem may be with windows. I
am using windows XP home edition.

Thanks

Here's information on differences in user accounts:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/usercpl_overview.mspx
In your situation, what is happening in the Limited account is that
particular user is being prevented from writing files to the hard drive
because the system is protecting itself. The Limited account doesn't have
the rights necessary. :cool:
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"geder s dorf" <gedersdorf@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I can play AOE2 in administer account, but in a limited account the
> program crashes. I get to the
> scenario selection screen. It crashes as soon as I start the games itself.
>
> I have other programs that work only in administer account. So the problem
> may be with windows. I
> am using windows XP home edition.
>
> Thanks

"geder s dorf" <gedersdorf@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I can play AOE2 in administer account, but in a limited account the
> program crashes. I get to the
> scenario selection screen. It crashes as soon as I start the games itself.
>
> I have other programs that work only in administer account. So the problem
> may be with windows. I
> am using windows XP home edition.

The problem is with Age of Empires itself. Software written then didn't have
to worry about limited accounts, because there weren't any. Therefor AoE
simply assumes it can write anywhere it likes. Which it no longer can and
fails.

The situation will improve with Longhorn, as it has the "standard user"
which virtualises the registry etc so programs that need full permissions
believe they have it, without touching the real registry or system.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*