SedativeLeek

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Specs:
FX-8320
Vengence 4gb ram
EVGA gtx 660 SC
550 corsair PSU

Im more interested in it being able to run at 60 fps than max settings as anything below 50 bothers me.
I do plan on getting a 670 in a few months though, which will increase my performance :D

Solution

I have never played Planetside 2, but most games have an option for Anti-Aliasing. All games I run at the Ultra level
but sometimes I need to adjust AA. Sometimes it is better to run 2xMSAA instead of 4xMSAA. You might want to check
this setting. It makes a huge difference.

Also, if your CPU temp never exceeds 55C then it is really cool. In summer, mine will get up to 66C and that is ok. Once you break the 70C mark then I'd be more worried. I think you should push your CPU more. The FX-83XX really...

angerftw

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
You have a graphics card as powefull as a 660 but have a lowres monitor. my suggestion is instead of getting a 670 you should get a monitor and a few more gigs of ram and you'll get a decent fps.

SedativeLeek

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

im looking to build a high end computer first then get everything else like the monitor later.
I downloaded planetside 2 though and my system couldnt get over 50 fps on some of the lower settings.

That's strange. I would expect you to max out your settings in Planetside 2 with that monitor, and still get around 60fps.
http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/188-planetside-2-performance-test/

You really should get 8GB RAM. You'll need it for BF3.

You got a high end CPU. Overclock it and you'll get an improvement in fps. Also, are you overclocking your GPU?

SedativeLeek

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

my gpu is already OC'd out of the box, and i can OC it another 75 MHz(cool room), and the cooling on my cpu isnt the best, at times in BFBC2 it would go over 55 F. Are there any video settings that really use up my gpu in planetside 2?

I have never played Planetside 2, but most games have an option for Anti-Aliasing. All games I run at the Ultra level
but sometimes I need to adjust AA. Sometimes it is better to run 2xMSAA instead of 4xMSAA. You might want to check
this setting. It makes a huge difference.

Also, if your CPU temp never exceeds 55C then it is really cool. In summer, mine will get up to 66C and that is ok. Once you break the 70C mark then I'd be more worried. I think you should push your CPU more. The FX-83XX really are good CPUs and can take more heat. Just make sure you monitor gameplay temps. I use CPUID Hardware Monitor to do so.

As for spending more money on computer....I totally understand...there are always more important uses for money. I'm hoping
I won't put more $$ into mine. However, since you own 4gb, buying an additional 4gb would probably be only $20. Something
to think about.

Solution

SedativeLeek

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks for the advice!