My 2001 cadillac deville overheats and blows out antifreeze out of the reservoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefly 2002

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
my 2001 cadillac deville overheats and blow antifreeze out of the reservoir- just had a thermostat put in and this happened 5 days after this! can you tell me what might be wrong? it has a Northstar engine.

Fishwagon

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
If it blows antifreeze out of reservoir, then you have a pressure build up. However, it could be a blown head gasket which these engines are unfortunately notorious for.

Tell me, how soon after you start it (cold) does it begin to do this? What does the temp gauge read when it starts to pop it's top?

Do you have any smoke coming from exhaust?

Why did you change thermostat, what were the symptoms before you changed it?

quino329

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

i changed the thermostac and waterpump and radiator what else can i do?

quino329

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
the ingine is overheating. Ireplacd the thermostac waterpump and radiator and I used blue devil just in case has a leak but stil overheating what else can I do to fix the problem?

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Get a radiator pressure tester and put it on the rad. It goes where the rad cap goes. To test for a leak you pressure it up. Now to test for a head gasket leak do not pressure it up and start the engine. You'll see the pressure build on the guage if you have a head gasket leak. Everything to me says head gasket leak. Those engines are known for that.

popatim

Titan

Replace the engine. The Northstar is a great engine until it breaks, then you throw it away.
You know how to spot all the cars int he junkyard with northstar engines? look for the ones without damaged bodies.

Kool E Dot

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

I had the radiator changed yesterday and the thermostat replaced in Nov. but the car still runs very sluggish and doent get any acceleration when I press hard on the pedal...could it be spark plugs or a warped head? Do I need to replace the thermostat again?

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
A bad thermostat either sticks open and the car runs cold or sticks shut and the car overheats. I'd first check the air filter then I'd check the spark plugs. Do you have a check engine light on?

mrswrigh41191

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
I have a question, I have a 1990 Cadillac Coupe DeVille.it takes about three and a half hours running before my Cadillac Coupe DeVille starts bubbling antifreeze out of the reservoir I just replaced the radiator and did oil change. I change my alternator.

87cadi

Reputable
May 12, 2015
Give john a call on 07986 246704 he has worked on cadis for years at Bauer millett he will know what it is for sure .

Status
Not open for further replies.