Sign in with
Your question

Router Cofiguration for gaming

Last response: in Networking
February 9, 2012 8:04:45 AM

Hi guys, I've a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 router, with the dd-wrt firmware, My own PC is connected via cable to port #1, and there are 2 laptops connected wireless to the router. My problem is, when I'm gaming, and any other laptop is using internet, watching pictures, videos, etc, it lags me a lot, giving me also spikes, here are my connection speeds:
Download: 2Mb/s
Upload: 768Kb/s
(Crappy connection, I know)

I've my router configured so the wireless network will only give away 1Mb/s, so that means that I ALWAYS have 1MB/s (because I've 2Mb/s) for my self, but it seems this isn't working, so...
The question is, does any of you know a configuration which I could use to improve this?... I also have my QoS turned on, with my MAC as high priority, etc.

Any help will be well received.
Thanks.

PD: Here are some pictures about my router configurations

February 9, 2012 6:58:08 PM

One thing you overlooked: You need to limit the wireless UPLOAD speed.

If you allow the wireless to saturate the upload, your download will slow to a crawl.
m
l
February 9, 2012 7:13:44 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
One thing you overlooked: You need to limit the wireless UPLOAD speed.

If you allow the wireless to saturate the upload, your download will slow to a crawl.

Yeah you're right, I just set Downlink to 512, and Uplink to 256, and changed the Port only to WAN, because I'm the only one connected via cable, so now it's just limiting the wireless network, I haven't been able to test it after this changes were made, I guess this should work... I hope xD
m
l
!