Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Power supply and graphics card compatability?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power Supplies
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 3, 2013 10:15:00 PM

Hello, I have recently bought this computer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And i am looking to upgrade my power supply and my graphics card this is the PSU I'm looking to purchase :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
is the Graphics card I'm wanting to buy. my main concern are the two being compatible with each other and of course my motherboard. So I'm hoping you guys can help me out?

More about : power supply graphics card compatability

a c 174 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 11:31:44 PM

that will be fine.
Score
0
January 4, 2013 12:00:10 AM

Thank you, I'm hopeing to run some games on at least a manageable frame rate.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 174 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 12:54:54 AM

but to be honest, dell use good psu's, you dont need to upgrade the psu to use that graphics card. in fact you could run a 7770 no problems. Open up the case and look at the specs on the current psu, particularly the wattage, and the amps available on the 12v rail(s)
Score
0
January 4, 2013 1:08:36 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
but to be honest, dell use good psu's, you dont need to upgrade the psu to use that graphics card. in fact you could run a 7770 no problems. Open up the case and look at the specs on the current psu, particularly the wattage, and the amps available on the 12v rail(s)


It currently has a 300 watt psu installed and the graphics card requires a minimum of 400 watts and i cant seem to find a good graphics card that can be ran with 300 watts much less a low profile one.
Score
0
a c 174 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 2:02:27 AM

is that a low profile case? it doesnt look like one in the picture? and the psu you picked isnt for a low profile case. anyway, here is a good deal on a top quality psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
just dont expect to play games at 1080p or high detail with that graphics card.
Score
0
a c 566 U Graphics card
a c 1205 ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 2:10:27 AM

oddllama said:
It currently has a 300 watt psu installed and the graphics card requires a minimum of 400 watts and i cant seem to find a good graphics card that can be ran with 300 watts much less a low profile one.

The link that you provided for your system shows that you have the mini-tower version.

That version is able to handle full height PCI-E x16 graphics cards with a length of up to around 9.5 inches before the hard disk drive cage interferes.

If you owned the slimline version (i.e. Inspiron 660s) then you would be limited to low profile graphics cards.
Score
0
January 4, 2013 2:10:55 AM

You were right the inspiron 660s has the low profile case. Not the 660. And could you recommend a graphics card in a similar price range?
Score
0
January 4, 2013 2:12:27 AM

ko888 said:
The link that you provided for your system shows that you have the mini-tower version.

That version is able to handle full height PCI-E x16 graphics cards with a length of up to around 9.5 inches before the hard disk drive cage interferes.

If you owned the slimline version (i.e. Inspiron 660s) then you would be limited to low profile graphics cards.


Thank you . It saying the mini-tower confused me.
Score
0
a c 566 U Graphics card
a c 1205 ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 2:36:32 AM

oddllama said:
You were right the inspiron 660s has the low profile case. Not the 660. And could you recommend a graphics card in a similar price range?

There may be one or two Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition graphics cards within that price range.

You will still have to upgrade the power supply though if you decide to get one of these cards.
Score
0
January 4, 2013 2:54:05 AM

Oh ,I plan on upgrading to the Antec that was recomended above. And im finding those cards mostly in the 130s range.
Score
0
January 4, 2013 2:57:37 AM

And I'm running windows 8 64 bit if that makes a difference.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 566 U Graphics card
a c 1205 ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 3:23:35 AM

oddllama said:
Oh ,I plan on upgrading to the Antec that was recomended above. And im finding those cards mostly in the 130s range.

SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card for $114.99 ($99.99 after $15.00 rebate card if purchased from Newegg.com or Newegg.ca between dates December 1, 2012 and January 15, 2013.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
January 4, 2013 3:33:23 AM

ko888 said:
SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card for $114.99 ($99.99 after $15.00 rebate card if purchased from Newegg.com or Newegg.ca between dates December 1, 2012 and January 15, 2013.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thank you so much. you both have been extremely helpful.
Score
0
January 4, 2013 3:33:39 AM

Best answer selected by oddllama.
Score
0
!