Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Building a New Computer

Last response: in Systems
February 21, 2013 1:40:43 AM

Hello,

I've been considering my options in computer acquisition for approximately 2 months now. In this time, I've basically found that to get the best bang for the buck, building your own is pretty much the way to go. That said, I've considered my options, reconsidered them, read more information than my brain can stand, and come up with the following:

CPU: AMD FX-6300

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3

Memory: Kingston HyperX Red 1600 MHz-- 2 4GB modules

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1 GB

Storage: Toshiba 1 TB HD

PSU: Ultra LS600 600W

Case: Ultra XBlaster Pro U12-42350

Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS 124-04

Alright, so, my question is... how does this look? I did some research, and found that the CPU and the Graphics card are basically the best you can do at my price range. The motherboard and case support USB 3.0, which seems like the direction that particular technology is heading. I have heard that Ultra power supplies are looked down upon by some, while others say that they are just fine.

This is at the absolute max of my spending limit, so any additions will have to be accompanied by some subtractions. If there's any place where corners can be cut, that's a bonus.

As far as usage is concerned, it will primarily be used for gaming--on the order of Dungeons and Dragons Online and Diablo 3--and basic Microsoft Office stuff. I feel that for those two games, it may be a tad overkill, but I want to keep my options open, should a new game come along that I want to play.

All of that said, I am not a "top of the line" graphics type guy, so if I have to scale back some of my graphics settings, that's ok. Additionally, I have no desire to overclock anything. I don't want to crossfire anything (at this point). This computer is not intended to be an homage to my geek ego... just an effective device for its intended purposes. And something that runs cool would be very nice. So... is it these things?

Thank you all for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

More about : building computer

February 21, 2013 1:43:50 AM

PSU: Ultra LS600 600W ---> bad manufactured PSU :( 

if you want the right PSU for that setup, XFX 550W or seasonic 520W will suit your need
February 21, 2013 2:56:36 AM

Neither of my store options have either of those particular PSUs. I am primarily looking at Tiger Direct, as they have a store nearby, and some strong deals going on right now on a few of the key pieces of this build. Is there another couple of PSU options that can work? I don't necessarily want nor need the best... just something that will get the job done reliably.
Related resources
February 21, 2013 2:59:45 AM

Do they have any Corsair 550w? The Ultra's are not reliable and you risk damage to all your other parts by slacking off on a PSU.

Best solution

February 21, 2013 3:01:22 AM

Your build is fine but i'd get a decent psu, you can get this one(since you're shopping from tigerdirect) : http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
February 21, 2013 3:03:48 AM

They have Corsair 500w and Corsair 600w, but no 550. Price-wise, the best I could do on a 600 is an 80+ Bronze GS600 model.
February 21, 2013 3:04:30 AM

Get the corsair GS600 for 50$, it's a good psu.
February 21, 2013 3:04:43 AM

The one Django mentioned is great, try and get it.
February 21, 2013 3:06:05 AM

NICE! Glad we agree, Djangoringo. So, all things considered, and after changing the PSUs, I'd be on-pace for a decent machine?
February 21, 2013 3:07:13 AM

Yeah, what's your budget by the way?
February 21, 2013 3:07:51 AM

And, let me just say this. Thank you. All of you. This is a big purchase for me, and a pretty big deal all-around. I want to get something that I will be happy with, and the speediness of your responses, coupled with your helpful disposition and information really and truly means a lot to me. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
February 21, 2013 3:08:01 AM

Whoops. Double post. My budget is in the $600 area... after rebates.
!