Windows XP home edition - restricted accounts cannot play ..

I have to login to windows XP home edition as an administrator to make
some games work, I tried using cacls to grant full access to the game
directory, and although that worked on some games, many still dont
work.

This PC is mainly used for the kids to play games on, but I prefer not
to make them admins, for obvious reasons.

The games in question also seem to require directx, in case that helps

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about windows home edition restricted accounts play

    "Jed Flanders" <User@domain.com> wrote in message news:d242a1hokr43f7apu6b2g6p0a5lgib03v1@4ax.com...
    |I have to login to windows XP home edition as an administrator to make
    | some games work, I tried using cacls to grant full access to the game
    | directory, and although that worked on some games, many still dont
    | work.
    |
    | This PC is mainly used for the kids to play games on, but I prefer not
    | to make them admins, for obvious reasons.
    |
    | The games in question also seem to require directx, in case that helps
    |
    | Thanks

    Hi Jed,

    Some games will work with limited accounts after they have been installed and
    run once either using an administrator account, or by temporarily changing the
    limited user account(s) to an admin account in Control Panel / User Accounts,
    just for the purpose of running the game the first time in order to be able to
    install the necessary files and create the keys in the registry that it needs to
    function, but may not be able to due to the restrictive nature of limited accounts.

    If that mouthful doesn't resolve the issue, use the "Run As.." command instead:

    1. Click Start / Control Panel / User Accounts / Create a New Account /
    Name the Account: "able2play" (without quotes) / Next Pick: "Computer-
    Administrator" & Click "Create Account";

    2. Click on your new able2play account and Create a Password for it;

    3. When your limited user wants to play a game that requires Administrator
    privileges they can Right-Click the shortcut to that game / Click Run As... /
    "The Following User": able2play and enter the password. Simple as that!

    I know what you're thinking: That defeats the purpose of the limited user account.
    To secure the "able2play" account so that it can't be used to logon to the computer:

    First you can hide the account so that it won't show up on the Welcome Screen:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_hide_users.htm (thanks Doug!)

    Next add a shortcut to the windows logoff routine into the RUN key of the
    able2play registry. I made a reg patch to simplify this process if you wish to use it:

    4. Logon to the "able2play" account,

    5. <ONLY RUN THIS PATCH USING THE "ABLE2PLAY" ACCOUNT>
    Save this patch to your drive and then doubleclick it to install it to your registry.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/OnlyRunUsingAble2PlayAccount.reg

    or

    *Instead of using the reg patch, click Start / Run / regedt32 / browse to:
    [HKCU\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] and
    Click Edit / New / String value / ValueName: logoff / Value data: logoff

    From now on, if anyone logs on with the "able2play" account, the computer will log
    them off immediately. They will not gain access to an administrators desktop! :-)

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Games Windows XP