Sign in with
Your question
Solved

650goldwatt vs 800bronzewatt psu

Last response: in Systems
February 21, 2013 2:48:51 AM

So I completed my first build last night(http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DEF7) and everything was working fine. I took a nap for two hours while downloading skyrim from steam and when I woke up my pc was off. I tried to turn it back on and nothing would happen. I turned the psu on and off, unplugged and replugged it and it still didn't turn it on. So after work I went bought a corsair 800gs psu from best buy and I was going to replace my seasonic 650x psu but the pc turned on and its running fine now.

Should I still switch out the psu or leave it. I'm a bit worried about under powering my system. It is a pure gaming machine and I want to overclock it.

TL;DR: should I switch the gold rated 650watt psu for the bronze rated 800watt psu.
670sli, 3570k, 3 gentle typhoon fans, noctua-nh-u12p, 1ssd, 1hdd
February 21, 2013 2:56:17 AM

Yeah, switch it out, that's way underpowered.
If you don't switch it, expect more random turn offs and potential damage to your great PC.

Best solution

February 21, 2013 3:41:21 AM

Not sure I agree with the under-powered post. 650w should be enough for that build under stress as it's rated at 521w (loaded) and 20% puts you at 650w. Since you were downloading a game (ie, not stressing the gpus/cpu) I'd think it was highly unlikely that a lack of power was causing this.

That said, even good PSU (Xseries is a great psu) can be bad. I'd suspect you either have a bad psu, or something else is at work (thermal paste application, or mobo issue, for instance).
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 21, 2013 3:52:44 AM

The asus mobo came with a lot of monitoring software and everything seemed pretty cool before I went to sleep. If I recall correctly the cpu was at 27c, the gpus were at 32c. Do you know of any diagnostic tools I could use to check it out or maybe some suggestions on what I could be looking for?
February 21, 2013 3:56:16 AM

eyeage said:
Not sure I agree with the under-powered post. 650w should be enough for that build under stress as it's rated at 521w (loaded) and 20% puts you at 650w. Since you were downloading a game (ie, not stressing the gpus/cpu) I'd think it was highly unlikely that a lack of power was causing this.

That said, even good PSU (Xseries is a great psu) can be bad. I'd suspect you either have a bad psu, or something else is at work (thermal paste application, or mobo issue, for instance).

You're right, I added 2 570s on accident. My mistake.
February 21, 2013 4:49:17 AM

Best answer selected by docmadhouse.
February 21, 2013 5:19:45 AM

Did you use too much thermal paste? Which method did you use to apply it? Something is definitely amiss here, as a pc shouldn't not turn back on. Strange, indeed... Perhaps someone out there can give other possible causes.. or ways to check them.
!