Solved

650goldwatt vs 800bronzewatt psu

So I completed my first build last night(http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DEF7) and everything was working fine. I took a nap for two hours while downloading skyrim from steam and when I woke up my pc was off. I tried to turn it back on and nothing would happen. I turned the psu on and off, unplugged and replugged it and it still didn't turn it on. So after work I went bought a corsair 800gs psu from best buy and I was going to replace my seasonic 650x psu but the pc turned on and its running fine now.

Should I still switch out the psu or leave it. I'm a bit worried about under powering my system. It is a pure gaming machine and I want to overclock it.

TL;DR: should I switch the gold rated 650watt psu for the bronze rated 800watt psu.
670sli, 3570k, 3 gentle typhoon fans, noctua-nh-u12p, 1ssd, 1hdd
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 650goldwatt 800bronzewatt
  1. Yeah, switch it out, that's way underpowered.
    If you don't switch it, expect more random turn offs and potential damage to your great PC.
  2. Best answer
    Not sure I agree with the under-powered post. 650w should be enough for that build under stress as it's rated at 521w (loaded) and 20% puts you at 650w. Since you were downloading a game (ie, not stressing the gpus/cpu) I'd think it was highly unlikely that a lack of power was causing this.

That said, even good PSU (Xseries is a great psu) can be bad. I'd suspect you either have a bad psu, or something else is at work (thermal paste application, or mobo issue, for instance).
  3. The asus mobo came with a lot of monitoring software and everything seemed pretty cool before I went to sleep. If I recall correctly the cpu was at 27c, the gpus were at 32c. Do you know of any diagnostic tools I could use to check it out or maybe some suggestions on what I could be looking for?
  4. eyeage said:
    Not sure I agree with the under-powered post. 650w should be enough for that build under stress as it's rated at 521w (loaded) and 20% puts you at 650w. Since you were downloading a game (ie, not stressing the gpus/cpu) I'd think it was highly unlikely that a lack of power was causing this.

That said, even good PSU (Xseries is a great psu) can be bad. I'd suspect you either have a bad psu, or something else is at work (thermal paste application, or mobo issue, for instance).

You're right, I added 2 570s on accident. My mistake.
  5. Best answer selected by docmadhouse.
  6. Did you use too much thermal paste? Which method did you use to apply it? Something is definitely amiss here, as a pc shouldn't not turn back on. Strange, indeed... Perhaps someone out there can give other possible causes.. or ways to check them.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems