Sign in with
Your question

Computer keeps freezing

Last response: in Systems
February 21, 2013 4:50:59 AM

Hello,

As the title of the thread states, I've been having issues with my computer randomly freezing on me. And by freezing, I mean both my monitors completely freeze in place and I am unable to move my mouse HOWEVER I have discovered that when I'm using a voice comm program (teamspeak 3 or mumble) that I can still hear people talking for about 15 seconds, I just can not respond. It doesn't matter if I'm playing a computer game, surfing the web, watching a youtube video, leaving it to it's own devices for 10 minutes at a time, or downloading updates / games from steam. It is completely undiscriminating in taste as to when it chooses to freeze. It has been happening off and on for about 6 months no matter what I do.

I initially did some research into the problem several months ago after it happened more than once and found out that I should clean out my registry and update all of my drivers. I downloaded a registry cleaner called CCleaner and got a driver updating software called SlimDrivers. I cleaned out my registry and updated my drivers through SlimDrivers and also manually updated my drivers through device manager just to make sure I got everything. This has not helped the computer freezing situation.

I have McAfee anti virus on my computer and have used it to scan my computer for viruses, spyware, and random programs running in the background. Nothing out of the ordinary. I have also downloaded 2 free antivirus programs recommended by a pc hardware website, ran them, found nothing, and then uninstalled them so they would not confict with McAfee.

I run two monitors on the same computer and initially thought this might be the problem, but it occured to me that the computer was freezing before I even set up my 2nd monitor. Despite knowing this, I disconnected one of the monitors and it still froze on me several times so I just reconnected the 2nd monitor again. I would have tried to fix the problem sooner, but I've been out of the house a good deal with military training.

My system specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte P55M-UD2
BiOS: Aware Module BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R)Core(Tm)i7CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHz (8CPUs), ~ 2.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM (I thought it was 8gigs so I don't know where dxdiag gets the extra 192mb)
Video Memory Card:NVIDIA Geforce GTS 250 (I think it's a 512MB but might be 256MB)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)

As I've stated above, I've already cleaned my registry with CCleaner and updated my drivers (I do both of these every other day). I've tried to live with the freezing problem but every time it freezes in an mmo while in a high risk situation, while I'm writing a long report for college, during a long UNSAVED forum post, or during a movie - it makes it more and more intolerable.

I'm hoping this isn't a hardware issue because if it is....I might as well just upgrade the entire rig - cpu, motherboard, video card...the works. I'm just trying to avoid doing that for a year or two.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

More about : computer freezing

a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2013 6:03:05 AM

with ram it binary numbers. 2.4.6.8. 512..1024..2048..windows and other program to help new users round the memory to the closest large number. with your pc hangs...start with looking at your mb bios. f11 is the last bios they dropped and going have the most ram and other bug fixes. you then want to turn on xmp profile to get your ram runnng at it max speed then in windows run cpu-z check that the ram is running right speed and voltage and timing. then use hardware monitor to watch the cpu and gpu temps. the the cpu or gpu not staying withing a safe temp range the system will lock up. the last two issue is a weak power supply or one that your pulling more voltage then the 12v leg can handle. (post up model and wattage of the power supply).
or the hard drive you have is having an issue or there bad ram in the system. for the hard drive boot off a hirem boot cd or usb stick..run hd tune and vendor test tools..read the hard drive smart info. then reboot and run memtest86 over night.
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:08:12 PM

I went into my bios and went under advanced memory settings. XMP was not an option. I looked all in bios under every single tab and checked every single option, nowhere at all was XMP listed anywhere.

I downloaded CPU-z and I'll list some of the specs that I imagine are important but don't really mean a whole lot to me as a non technical computer expert. Below are the cpu, memory, and graphics info.

CPU TAB:

Name - Intel Core i7 860
Code Name - Lynnfield
Max TDP - 95W
Package - Socket 1156 LGA
Technology - 45nm
Core Voltage - 0.896V
Specification - Intel(R)Core(TM)i7 CPU 860@2.80GHZ
Family - 6
Model - E
Stepping - 5
Ext. Family - 6
Ext. Model 1E
Revision - B1
Instructions - MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x
Core Speed - 1199.22 Mhz
Multiplier - 9.0
Bus Speed - 133.24 Mhz
QPI Link - 2398.23 Mhz
L1 Data - 4x32 KBytes 8-way
L1 Inst. - 4x32 KBytes 4-way
Level 2 - 4x256 KBytes 8-way
Level 3 - 8 MBytes 16-way

MEMORY TAB:

Type - DDR3
Size - 8192 MBytes
Channels# - Dual
NB Frequency - 2398.3 MHz
DRAM Frequency - 666.2 MHz
FSB: DRAM - 2:10
CAS# Latency (CL) - 9.0 clocks
RAS#to CAS# Delay (tRCD) - 9 clocks
RAS#Precharge (tRp) - 9 clocks
Cycle Time (tRas) - 24 clocks
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) - 74 clocks
Command Rate (CR) - 2T

SPD TAB:

All slots had this - Module Size 2048 MBytes
Max Bandwidth PC3-10700 (677 MHz)
Manufacturer A-Data Technology
Part Number DDR3 1600G

Timings Table:
JEDEC#1 JEDEC#2 JEDEC#3 JEDEC#4
Frequency - 457 mhZ 533 MhZ 609 MhZ 685 Mhz
CAS# Latency - 6.0 7.0 8.0 9.0
RAS# to CAS# - 6 7 8 9
RAS# Precharge - 6 7 8 9
tRAS - 17 20 22 25
tRC - 23 27 30 34
Voltage - 1.50V 1.50V 1.50 V 1.50 V

GRAPHICS TAB

Name - NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Code Name - G92
Revision - A2
Technology - 65nm
Size - 1024 MBytes
Bus Width - 256 bits

I'm not really sure what half of that means. Is there anything out of the ordinary with that read out? Is it unusual for the JEDEC's to vary so much in range? Also is there a way of find out what my power supply is without opening up my case? Like through device manage or something along those lines?
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2013 9:51:40 PM

Could anyone else offer some insight?
m
l
May 6, 2013 3:30:01 PM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Randomly Freezes
No BSOD just random freezes with screen on and no keys or cursor repsond, all I can do is use a hard reset to restart. Then I get the standard windows was not shut down properly messege at start-up. I have been having this issue/s and have tried all the same standard help people have had to offer, in all the dfferent post I've read online.
To actually fix this issue I ended up having to go to the device manager and check for driver updates on all my devices, one at a time. I think the ones that had updates that fixed this issue were the ACPIx64-based PC under the computer drop down and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers especially the ICH ATA and SATA AHCI ontrollers (I think these made the difference). I checked them all, but these were the only ones that had updates. Once those were updated and the computer was restarted, it has stayed on. It's been on for a day now and no problems so far.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2013 9:02:33 PM

Download hdtune read your drive smart info see if there any warnings.
Then run sea tools or wd tools to check out your hard drive. (sea tools for seagate branded drives).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2013 9:02:33 PM

Download hdtune read your drive smart info see if there any warnings.
Then run sea tools or wd tools to check out your hard drive. (sea tools for seagate branded drives).
m
l
!