Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC = to PS4 for 500 dollars?

Last response: in Systems
February 21, 2013 7:46:03 AM

Hey everyone, soon I will be building my first gaming pc, and with the release of the playstation 4 specs there were plenty of people please. It was a large leap from the ps3 specs, but as expected on the internet soon there was trash talking. One comment caught my eye. "Okay so the Playstation 4, is almost as good as my 500 dollar gaming pc?"

Here are the specifications of the PS4

Single-chip custom processor

CPU : x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores

GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based graphics engine

GDDR5 8GB

Now as I mentioned I am building a PC, and I wasn't irritated by the statement I quoted earlier, I was just wondering is this true. If so can someone show me this build so I can do it myself.

My builds specs

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard $89.99

Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC $194.80

AMD FX-6300 $129.99

HAF 912 $59.99

Windows 8 OEM $89.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 $55.99

3 120mm Case Fans $8.99

1 140mm Case Fan $5.99

Case Fan Filters $18.99

550W 80plus Modular PSU $54.99

So with everything this is $684.48 and I don't think my build is on par with the PS4 in all aspects. The Ps4 does have a case, and an OS, but I will knock off the costs of Windows 8, Case, Case Fans. It still costs $555.40 so is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is that guy full of it? I don't want to resort to buy unreliable products. If there isn't something as good as the PS4 for around this price?

Any help building a power budget pc?

More about : ps4 500 dollars

February 21, 2013 8:08:17 AM

Your system is fine, that guy is a douchebag. I'd like to see him run games like Far Cry 3 in acceptable settings on his $500 computer.

What PSU exactly is that btw? Trust me when I say you do not want to get an off-brand.

Also, you can do alot better on the motherboard, this one is slightly cheaper but packs more features.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
February 21, 2013 8:08:25 AM

EDIT: Ugh, double post again. I keep getting this "unavailable" error that makes me double post when I refresh, but fails to send my post if I don't refresh.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2013 8:12:54 AM

I don't think we can match the performance of the PS4 at that price, at least not when it comes out, since all games for it will be optimized for a very specific set of hardware.
m
l
February 21, 2013 8:33:33 AM

Although the PS4 will sell for around $500 i suspect Sony will be selling the hardware at a loss and expecting to make money up in games sales etc.

A 7850 should be able to equal the GPU in the PS4.

As by the time the PS4 is realeased we will have Haswell and Radeon 8000 series out my estimations would be an 8770 and above GPU and a high end i3 / low end i5 should be on a reasonable par with the PS4.
m
l
February 21, 2013 9:30:21 AM

It's rumored that the PS4 will release around the price of $464 American.
m
l
February 21, 2013 9:32:20 AM

excella1221 said:
Your system is fine, that guy is a douchebag. I'd like to see him run games like Far Cry 3 in acceptable settings on his $500 computer.

What PSU exactly is that btw? Trust me when I say you do not want to get an off-brand.

Also, you can do alot better on the motherboard, this one is slightly cheaper but packs more features.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Does that motherboard work well with Windows 8? I hate how Windows 8 looks but I am sure there are some improvements, and the PSU is Coolmax ZU-500B 500W Power Supply
m
l
February 21, 2013 9:34:19 AM

morgannew said:
Does that motherboard work well with Windows 8? I hate how Windows 8 looks but I am sure there are some improvements, and the PSU is Coolmax ZU-500B 500W Power Supply

Awful PSU. Get a Antec VP450.
m
l
February 21, 2013 9:36:26 AM

samuelspark said:

Any chance that has Modular cables?
m
l
February 21, 2013 9:51:18 AM

Honestly my Pc I am already building is overkill for my needs I think. . . The majority of the games I'll be playing are, Starcraft 2 and Guild Wars 2 then just a handful of free to play MMO's.
m
l
February 21, 2013 10:52:41 AM

morgannew said:
Any chance that has Modular cables?

Don't need a modular PSU. I suggest getting a good stock case with good cable management like the NZXT Tempest 410. HAF is bit outdated now as it doesn't have a painted interior or very good cable management.
m
l
February 21, 2013 11:00:29 AM

morgannew said:
So with everything this is $684.48 and I don't think my build is on par with the PS4 in all aspects. The Ps4 does have a case, and an OS, but I will knock off the costs of Windows 8, Case, Case Fans. It still costs $555.40 so is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is that guy full of it? I don't want to resort to buy unreliable products. If there isn't something as good as the PS4 for around this price?

Your build has a much more powerful GPU and a much more powerful CPU. It also has better system RAM for the CPU (the PS4 uses GDDR5 for everything, and GDDR5 is poorly suited for CPU usage).
m
l
February 21, 2013 11:20:43 AM

samuelspark said:

+1.
Probably the most efficient, and price friendly 450w on the market. It's more than enough to power your 7850 + the whole computer even with OC on both CPU and GPU.
m
l

Best solution

February 21, 2013 11:26:58 AM

The ps4 is built from the ground up to run games, it would seem kinda pointless to compare a similarly specd PC to it as a mix and match of pc parts is hardly optimized to do a certain task, then again we don't know anything about how the the PS4 runs yet, or how much it can do, so take that with a grain of salt.

My point is: if you made the PS4 run windows and play windows games, your PC would probably own it as it has better hardware. on the other hand, I don't know how that same PC, running windows games, would compare to running PS4 games on a PS4.

P.S. GW2 is very,very,very CPU dependent, ask around before you go with that fx6300 as that game is kinda picky when it comes to cpu's
February 21, 2013 11:41:50 AM

Unfortunately, we won't be able to really compare until we've got a multiplatform game, but I would expect an equivalent PC to be ~$1000

EDIT: this price is very likely to drop when we have Haswell and the next gen GPUs available.
m
l
February 21, 2013 12:04:22 PM

To answer OP, yes I suppose on paper a $5-600PC would be at least a match. However the PS4 could likely outperform such a PC in games (due to careful optimisation for the platform). I'd still rather have the PC of course :D 

Sakkura said:
Your build has a much more powerful GPU and a much more powerful CPU. It also has better system RAM for the CPU (the PS4 uses GDDR5 for everything, and GDDR5 is poorly suited for CPU usage).

Why is GDDR5 a poor suitor for CPUs? There isn't architecturally that much different from normal DDR, primarily just power optimisations (voltages, clockspeeds) I believe?

When I heard the system would sport GDDR5 for the CPU I was excited (normally you'd see a GPU using crappy generic DDR, not a CPU using vastly higher-bandwidth GDDR). Most of our processors are limited to <30GB/s memory bandwidth but the PS4 APU will have access to over five times as much :D  assuming, of course, they share the memory bus.
m
l
February 21, 2013 1:12:41 PM

CrArC said:
Why is GDDR5 a poor suitor for CPUs? There isn't architecturally that much different from normal DDR, primarily just power optimisations (voltages, clockspeeds) I believe?

When I heard the system would sport GDDR5 for the CPU I was excited (normally you'd see a GPU using crappy generic DDR, not a CPU using vastly higher-bandwidth GDDR). Most of our processors are limited to <30GB/s memory bandwidth but the PS4 APU will have access to over five times as much :D  assuming, of course, they share the memory bus.

GDDR5 is DDR3 that has been modified to suit GPUs better. Bandwidth has been increased greatly, at the cost of higher latencies.
CPUs don't benefit all that much from higher bandwidths than usual DDR3, and higher latencies reduce performance.

It's great that the GPU gets good memory though, and the negative impact on the CPU will probably be reasonably small.
m
l
February 21, 2013 6:07:21 PM

samuelspark said:
Don't need a modular PSU. I suggest getting a good stock case with good cable management like the NZXT Tempest 410. HAF is bit outdated now as it doesn't have a painted interior or very good cable management.

I don't need modular cables, it's just a preference. As for the case, painted interior doesn't matter because it doesn't have a window to see inside. Plus the HAF is slightly cheaper, I'm trying to keep my budget. It still has good airflow and cable management options.
m
l
February 21, 2013 6:17:47 PM

excella1221 said:
EDIT: Ugh, double post again. I keep getting this "unavailable" error that makes me double post when I refresh, but fails to send my post if I don't refresh.

Yeah, me too... been happening for about a week now. Fairly annoying.
m
l
February 21, 2013 7:09:31 PM

Best answer selected by morgannew.
m
l
!