Building PC - data cable?

Powka

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hey.

I've read a few manuals on building PC, got everything they mentioned, but none of them said anything about data cable. Now I'm building my PC with the parts I've got and the guy on youtube said I need to stick in power cable and data cable into my HDD. WTF? How come none of those articles mentioned that you need a data cable? Obviously I'm a newbie at building a PC, so I don't know what ******* cables I need.

Can anybody advise what type of cable should I get? I bought everything from SCAN co uk

These are the parts that I got:
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-
500GB Seagate ST500DM002 Barracuda
1GB EVGA GT 610 PCIe 2
Fractal Design Core 1000 Black micr
Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Gen 3 USB 3.0
Intel Core i3 3220, S 1155, Ivy Bri
450W Powercool PSUPC450AUBAM, Modul

Thank you!

OEM HDD don't come with a sata cable. Your mobo should have come with at least two though, mine did. Check through the mobo box and hopefully you find one. If not you can get an 18" sata cable on newegg for ~$3.

Powka

Honorable
May 4, 2012

Yes I have the one you mentioned -- it came with the motherboard. SATA. I thought it was power cable.

There is no cable from PSU to HDD though (there's two that come out of PSU, and both for motherboard). The were additional cables in the packet with PSU, but none of those look like they will fit HDD.

I'm not trying to install Windows, and it doesn't find any HDD. Is that not because of the cable? I only have one cable hooked onto HDD, and that's SATA that goes to Gigabyte motherboard.