Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Hd 7870 enough for 1080p ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 4, 2013 10:03:05 AM

Im looking to pair a Gigabyte HD 7870 with an fx 8350

I'll be playing at 1920x1080 , can the card manage a playable fps on high or ultra on BF3 , Prototype 2 , AC3 , ,Crysis 2 etc etc ??

If it cant manage a playable fps , will reducing eye candy help ? Thats not a problem to me..I only want a playable fps...

My friends hd 5750 can play BF3 and AC3 at max....my 8400gs couldnt even start BF3 lol...

PS : What do you think, can it manage Crysis 3 ???? :) ) Crytex says Crysis 3 will melt PC...lol :) ) here
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Crytek-Crysis-3-Keplar...

More about : 7870 1080p

Best solution

January 4, 2013 10:08:06 AM

Well, the 7870 got a 65 FPS average in BF3 1080p High in Tom's review, and that was before AMD improved their drivers. I think it will do well for all current games.

If you're comparing with a HD 5750, well, don't worry - the 7870 is miles ahead of it.
Share
January 4, 2013 10:11:18 AM

^+1. It certainly works well for me. I don't play BF3, but nothing I have hasn't been at or so near to max as makes no difference. GW2 is probably my most demanding title right now, which scales to much weaker hardware, but takes a lot to max it.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 4, 2013 10:11:30 AM

Sakkura said:
Well, the 7870 got a 65 FPS average in BF3 1080p High in Tom's review, and that was before AMD improved their drivers. I think it will do well for all current games.

If you're comparing with a HD 5750, well, don't worry - the 7870 is miles ahead of it.

yeah a 7870 will be fine for bf3 but you may have to reduce a little, not too much though.the toms reviews with bf3 you have to remember are with single player game play the demands with a 64 player big map are vastly different and take a big fps penalty
m
0
l
January 4, 2013 10:15:23 AM

compgenie said:
Im looking to pair a Gigabyte HD 7870 with an fx 8350

I'll be playing at 1920x1080 , can the card manage a playable fps on high or ultra on BF3 , Prototype 2 , AC3 , ,Crysis 2 etc etc ??

If it cant manage a playable fps , will reducing eye candy help ? Thats not a problem to me..I only want a playable fps...

My friends hd 5750 can play BF3 and AC3 at max....my 8400gs couldnt even start BF3 lol...

PS : What do you think, can it manage Crysis 3 ???? :) ) Crytex says Crysis 3 will melt PC...lol :) ) here
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Crytek-Crysis-3-Keplar...

i think your friend is full of sh!t my 6950 wont get close to max in bf3, unless he's still running 640x480, maybe, lol!! :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
January 4, 2013 10:43:52 AM

jasont78 said:
i think your friend is full of sh!t my 6950 wont get close to max in bf3, unless he's still running 640x480, maybe, lol!! :pt1cable: 

Oi ! Dont tell me this , I go to his house everyday...
His pc is round 3 yrs old dude ....he need not even upgrade he can play every game at high or even ultra at 1080p w/o overclocking....

My rig is round 6 yrs old. Still using a locked Pentium E series.

hmm. ok. Ill get the 7870 even if it needs an overclock. ( i dont need butter smoooooth....i need playable ,,,not like the 5 fps i used to get in Prototype 2 even at 640x480 , even with settings lowest possible)
Only game that was butter smooth was nfsmw hehehe

What about CRYSIS 3 ????
m
0
l
January 4, 2013 10:52:56 AM

Well, Crysis 3 isn't out yet, so it's impossible to know exactly how demanding it will be. I suspect the 7870 will run it fine, maybe you'd have to turn the settings down a little, but not to the really low settings.

Edit: Derp, never mind.
m
0
l
January 4, 2013 11:12:57 AM

hmmm... not related to topic I know but should I wait for the hd 8 series ?

Howz the rig I chose a couple or days ago--

FX 8350
Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0
Gskilll 8 gb
Corsair HX750
NZXT Switch 810
XSPC Raystorm 750 RX240 cooler
HD 7870
m
0
l
January 4, 2013 12:13:51 PM

Don't know the cooler, but the rest looks pretty good. I think a Core i5-3570k would be better value for gaming though.

I usually don't recommend waiting for the launch of new graphics cards. There's always going to be something just over the horizon, and besides, graphics cards are usually overpriced at launch.
m
0
l
January 4, 2013 7:40:58 PM

compgenie said:
Oi ! Dont tell me this , I go to his house everyday...
His pc is round 3 yrs old dude ....he need not even upgrade he can play every game at high or even ultra at 1080p w/o overclocking....

My rig is round 6 yrs old. Still using a locked Pentium E series.

hmm. ok. Ill get the 7870 even if it needs an overclock. ( i dont need butter smoooooth....i need playable ,,,not like the 5 fps i used to get in Prototype 2 even at 640x480 , even with settings lowest possible)
Only game that was butter smooth was nfsmw hehehe

What about CRYSIS 3 ????


is this even a serious post or are you just mucking around. you say a 5750 is perfect for your mate does everything at ultra then say i might get a 7870 and have to overclock to get the same level of playability as your mates, wtf. im telling you right now a 5750 is a lot worse than my 6950 and mine has a big factory overclock, im guessing my 2500k is better than your mates computer if his is 3 years old, i can tell you right now and im sure everyone else here that has a clue will tell you a computer like your mates will not do bf3 or even crysis 1 for that matter with 1080p at ultra level graphics, mine wont do bf3 without dropping settings, its just not possible, end of story!! you sound like a school kid with 2 much time on the weekend.
m
0
l
January 15, 2013 1:14:23 AM

Best answer selected by compgenie.
m
0
l
January 15, 2013 1:16:33 AM

jasont78 said:
is this even a serious post or are you just mucking around. you say a 5750 is perfect for your mate does everything at ultra then say i might get a 7870 and have to overclock to get the same level of playability as your mates, wtf. im telling you right now a 5750 is a lot worse than my 6950 and mine has a big factory overclock, im guessing my 2500k is better than your mates computer if his is 3 years old, i can tell you right now and im sure everyone else here that has a clue will tell you a computer like your mates will not do bf3 or even crysis 1 for that matter with 1080p at ultra level graphics, mine wont do bf3 without dropping settings, its just not possible, end of story!! you sound like a school kid with 2 much time on the weekend.


He gets good fps NOT WT BF3 AT ULTRA.. . . . . He just takes it to max settings that are playable and look good
m
0
l
!