Military Strategy Crash

I have two games Axis and Allies 2004 and Dawn of War, both similar.
Everytime I play them they both crash. I just bought a Radeon X 700 pro
graphics card and more memory. I have a brand new e-machine computer. I
installed all new drivers for the graphics card and looked for any patch
files for the games. When I boot up my computer normaly and play A&A I get
an error message "thread MAIN caught unhandled exception Access Violation
(C0000005) trapped at 1B:913664," and then the program closes. I went into
msconfig and rebooted my computer with no other startup programs running, and
I was allowed to play A&A a little bit longer, but then my computer reboots.
Windows device manager says my card is installed correctly. I unistalled the
old graphics driver. I also disabled the option to have two monitors. Could
someone please help. Thankyou
7 answers Last reply
More about military strategy crash

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 23:23:02 -0700, Steven419
    <Steven419@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have two games Axis and Allies 2004 and Dawn of War, both similar.
    >Everytime I play them they both crash. I just bought a Radeon X 700 pro
    >graphics card and more memory. I have a brand new e-machine computer. I
    >installed all new drivers for the graphics card and looked for any patch
    >files for the games. When I boot up my computer normaly and play A&A I get
    >an error message "thread MAIN caught unhandled exception Access Violation
    >(C0000005) trapped at 1B:913664," and then the program closes. I went into
    >msconfig and rebooted my computer with no other startup programs running, and
    >I was allowed to play A&A a little bit longer, but then my computer reboots.
    >Windows device manager says my card is installed correctly. I unistalled the
    >old graphics driver. I also disabled the option to have two monitors. Could
    >someone please help. Thankyou

    To prevent the computer rebooting disable XP automatic restart on
    error (check Help and Support).

    Another cause of reboot would be the computer overheating or the
    additional RAM causing problem, did you install only certified RAM
    identical to the one already in the machine? If not remove the
    additional row temporarily and see if it helps.

    Another thing would be to check/upgrade the motherboard drivers...

    ===
    Katy P.
    MS_MVP for Flight Simulator

    Visit Project Magenta!
    http://www.promagenta.com

    Some other possibilities besides overheating, bad RAM and bad chipset
    drivers would be a faulty or underpowered power supply.

    "Steven419" <Steven419@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have two games Axis and Allies 2004 and Dawn of War, both similar.
    > Everytime I play them they both crash. I just bought a Radeon X 700 pro
    > graphics card and more memory. I have a brand new e-machine computer. I
    > installed all new drivers for the graphics card and looked for any patch
    > files for the games. When I boot up my computer normaly and play A&A I
    > get
    > an error message "thread MAIN caught unhandled exception Access
    > Violation
    > (C0000005) trapped at 1B:913664," and then the program closes. I went
    > into
    > msconfig and rebooted my computer with no other startup programs running,
    > and
    > I was allowed to play A&A a little bit longer, but then my computer
    > reboots.
    > Windows device manager says my card is installed correctly. I unistalled
    > the
    > old graphics driver. I also disabled the option to have two monitors.
    > Could
    > someone please help. Thankyo

    Do you actually get into the game, or does it happen when you get the first
    splash screen up (before the game switches to full screen)?

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

    *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    I went to the store I bought my computer at, and got the model of the of the
    motherboard. It is a new MSI. I installed all the upgrade drivers for
    everything. The Radeon X 700 pro graphics card does not say anything about
    power requirments, so I bought a 430 watt power supply, because all the other
    comparable cards needed 350+. I then noticed the fan on my graphics card was
    not running and it was really hot. I took the card back for a new one and
    the fan works. After all this my game still crashes. I am ruuning out of
    ideas quick. Thanks for your suggestions, keep them coming.

    "Steven419" wrote:

    > I have two games Axis and Allies 2004 and Dawn of War, both similar.
    > Everytime I play them they both crash. I just bought a Radeon X 700 pro
    > graphics card and more memory. I have a brand new e-machine computer. I
    > installed all new drivers for the graphics card and looked for any patch
    > files for the games. When I boot up my computer normaly and play A&A I get
    > an error message "thread MAIN caught unhandled exception Access Violation
    > (C0000005) trapped at 1B:913664," and then the program closes. I went into
    > msconfig and rebooted my computer with no other startup programs running, and
    > I was allowed to play A&A a little bit longer, but then my computer reboots.
    > Windows device manager says my card is installed correctly. I unistalled the
    > old graphics driver. I also disabled the option to have two monitors. Could
    > someone please help. Thankyou

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    430 watts should be sufficient if you aren't running a massive RAID array of
    hard drives, etc. Provided you have a name brand power supply - for example
    Antec, Sparkle, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling to name a few - you shouldn't be
    having issues with out-of-spec or dirty voltage issues. If something isn't
    quite 12 volts, 5 volts, etc that can sometimes cause issues.

    Have you tried the memory diagnostic from Microsoft's site to verify your
    RAM is okay?

    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    How's your cooling setup in your computer? Does the game run longer if you
    remove the side panel from the case?

    >I went to the store I bought my computer at, and got the model of the of
    >the
    > motherboard. It is a new MSI. I installed all the upgrade drivers for
    > everything. The Radeon X 700 pro graphics card does not say anything
    > about
    > power requirments, so I bought a 430 watt power supply, because all the
    > other
    > comparable cards needed 350+. I then noticed the fan on my graphics card
    > was
    > not running and it was really hot. I took the card back for a new one and
    > the fan works. After all this my game still crashes. I am ruuning out of
    > ideas quick. Thanks for your suggestions, keep them coming.
    >

    > "Steven419" wrote:
    >
    >> I have two games Axis and Allies 2004 and Dawn of War, both similar.
    >> Everytime I play them they both crash. I just bought a Radeon X 700 pro
    >> graphics card and more memory. I have a brand new e-machine computer. I
    >> installed all new drivers for the graphics card and looked for any patch
    >> files for the games. When I boot up my computer normaly and play A&A I
    >> get
    >> an error message "thread MAIN caught unhandled exception Access
    >> Violation
    >> (C0000005) trapped at 1B:913664," and then the program closes. I went
    >> into
    >> msconfig and rebooted my computer with no other startup programs running,
    >> and
    >> I was allowed to play A&A a little bit longer, but then my computer
    >> reboots.
    >> Windows device manager says my card is installed correctly. I unistalled
    >> the
    >> old graphics driver. I also disabled the option to have two monitors.
    >> Could
    >> someone please help. Thankyou

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hello I have an issue with a game. I play it and it exits out of the game all
    the time randomly you never know when it will happen why is this. I also
    have to play the game on low graphics settings or it lags, but it still lags
    on low. There is a error notification that looks like this. Error signature
    AppName: stronghold2.exe
    AppVer: 1.2.0.0 ModName: stronghold2.exe
    ModVer:1.2.0.0 Offset:0037cb91

    I keep sending microsoft an error report but i get no response Please help
  7. I had the same problem with Axis and Allies. I SOLVED :bounce: it by disabling Windows XP data execution protection for Axis and Allies. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700810.aspx

    1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Under Pick a category, click Performance and Maintenance.
    3. Under or Pick a Control Panel icon, click System.
    4. Click the Advanced tab.
    5. In the Performance area, click Settings and then click Data Execution Prevention.
    6. Verify that Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select is selected and then click OK to close Performance Settings.
    7. Add Axis and Allies as an exception.

Computers Games Windows XP