Military Strategy Crash

June 6, 2005 3:23:02 AM

I have two games Axis and Allies 2004 and Dawn of War, both similar.
Everytime I play them they both crash. I just bought a Radeon X 700 pro
graphics card and more memory. I have a brand new e-machine computer. I
installed all new drivers for the graphics card and looked for any patch
files for the games. When I boot up my computer normaly and play A&A I get
an error message "thread MAIN caught unhandled exception Access Violation
(C0000005) trapped at 1B:913664," and then the program closes. I went into
msconfig and rebooted my computer with no other startup programs running, and
I was allowed to play A&A a little bit longer, but then my computer reboots.
Windows device manager says my card is installed correctly. I unistalled the
old graphics driver. I also disabled the option to have two monitors. Could
someone please help. Thankyou
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 12:42:12 PM

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 23:23:02 -0700, Steven419
<Steven419@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have two games Axis and Allies 2004 and Dawn of War, both similar.
>Everytime I play them they both crash. I just bought a Radeon X 700 pro
>graphics card and more memory. I have a brand new e-machine computer. I
>installed all new drivers for the graphics card and looked for any patch
>files for the games. When I boot up my computer normaly and play A&A I get
>an error message "thread MAIN caught unhandled exception Access Violation
>(C0000005) trapped at 1B:913664," and then the program closes. I went into
>msconfig and rebooted my computer with no other startup programs running, and
>I was allowed to play A&A a little bit longer, but then my computer reboots.
>Windows device manager says my card is installed correctly. I unistalled the
>old graphics driver. I also disabled the option to have two monitors. Could
>someone please help. Thankyou

To prevent the computer rebooting disable XP automatic restart on
error (check Help and Support).

Another cause of reboot would be the computer overheating or the
additional RAM causing problem, did you install only certified RAM
identical to the one already in the machine? If not remove the
additional row temporarily and see if it helps.

Another thing would be to check/upgrade the motherboard drivers...

===
Katy P.
MS_MVP for Flight Simulator

Visit Project Magenta!
http://www.promagenta.com
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:39:59 PM

Some other possibilities besides overheating, bad RAM and bad chipset
drivers would be a faulty or underpowered power supply.

"Katy Pluta (MS_MVP)" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 23:23:02 -0700, Steven419
> <Steven419@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have two games Axis and Allies 2004 and Dawn of War, both similar.
>>Everytime I play them they both crash. I just bought a Radeon X 700 pro
>>graphics card and more memory. I have a brand new e-machine computer. I
>>installed all new drivers for the graphics card and looked for any patch
>>files for the games. When I boot up my computer normaly and play A&A I
>>get
>>an error message "thread MAIN caught unhandled exception Access
>>Violation
>>(C0000005) trapped at 1B:913664," and then the program closes. I went
>>into
>>msconfig and rebooted my computer with no other startup programs running,
>>and
>>I was allowed to play A&A a little bit longer, but then my computer
>>reboots.
>>Windows device manager says my card is installed correctly. I unistalled
>>the
>>old graphics driver. I also disabled the option to have two monitors.
>>Could
>>someone please help. Thankyou
>
> To prevent the computer rebooting disable XP automatic restart on
> error (check Help and Support).
>
> Another cause of reboot would be the computer overheating or the
> additional RAM causing problem, did you install only certified RAM
> identical to the one already in the machine? If not remove the
> additional row temporarily and see if it helps.
>
> Another thing would be to check/upgrade the motherboard drivers...
>
> ===
> Katy P.
> MS_MVP for Flight Simulator
>
> Visit Project Magenta!
> http://www.promagenta.com
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 6:24:12 PM

"Steven419" <Steven419@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two games Axis and Allies 2004 and Dawn of War, both similar.
> Everytime I play them they both crash. I just bought a Radeon X 700 pro
> graphics card and more memory. I have a brand new e-machine computer. I
> installed all new drivers for the graphics card and looked for any patch
> files for the games. When I boot up my computer normaly and play A&A I
> get
> an error message "thread MAIN caught unhandled exception Access
> Violation
> (C0000005) trapped at 1B:913664," and then the program closes. I went
> into
> msconfig and rebooted my computer with no other startup programs running,
> and
> I was allowed to play A&A a little bit longer, but then my computer
> reboots.
> Windows device manager says my card is installed correctly. I unistalled
> the
> old graphics driver. I also disabled the option to have two monitors.
> Could
> someone please help. Thankyo

Do you actually get into the game, or does it happen when you get the first
splash screen up (before the game switches to full screen)?

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 11:45:07 PM

I went to the store I bought my computer at, and got the model of the of the
motherboard. It is a new MSI. I installed all the upgrade drivers for
everything. The Radeon X 700 pro graphics card does not say anything about
power requirments, so I bought a 430 watt power supply, because all the other
comparable cards needed 350+. I then noticed the fan on my graphics card was
not running and it was really hot. I took the card back for a new one and
the fan works. After all this my game still crashes. I am ruuning out of
ideas quick. Thanks for your suggestions, keep them coming.

"Steven419" wrote:

> I have two games Axis and Allies 2004 and Dawn of War, both similar.
> Everytime I play them they both crash. I just bought a Radeon X 700 pro
> graphics card and more memory. I have a brand new e-machine computer. I
> installed all new drivers for the graphics card and looked for any patch
> files for the games. When I boot up my computer normaly and play A&A I get
> an error message "thread MAIN caught unhandled exception Access Violation
> (C0000005) trapped at 1B:913664," and then the program closes. I went into
> msconfig and rebooted my computer with no other startup programs running, and
> I was allowed to play A&A a little bit longer, but then my computer reboots.
> Windows device manager says my card is installed correctly. I unistalled the
> old graphics driver. I also disabled the option to have two monitors. Could
> someone please help. Thankyou

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:49:31 PM

430 watts should be sufficient if you aren't running a massive RAID array of
hard drives, etc. Provided you have a name brand power supply - for example
Antec, Sparkle, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling to name a few - you shouldn't be
having issues with out-of-spec or dirty voltage issues. If something isn't
quite 12 volts, 5 volts, etc that can sometimes cause issues.

Have you tried the memory diagnostic from Microsoft's site to verify your
RAM is okay?

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

How's your cooling setup in your computer? Does the game run longer if you
remove the side panel from the case?

>I went to the store I bought my computer at, and got the model of the of
>the
> motherboard. It is a new MSI. I installed all the upgrade drivers for
> everything. The Radeon X 700 pro graphics card does not say anything
> about
> power requirments, so I bought a 430 watt power supply, because all the
> other
> comparable cards needed 350+. I then noticed the fan on my graphics card
> was
> not running and it was really hot. I took the card back for a new one and
> the fan works. After all this my game still crashes. I am ruuning out of
> ideas quick. Thanks for your suggestions, keep them coming.
>

> "Steven419" wrote:
>
>> I have two games Axis and Allies 2004 and Dawn of War, both similar.
>> Everytime I play them they both crash. I just bought a Radeon X 700 pro
>> graphics card and more memory. I have a brand new e-machine computer. I
>> installed all new drivers for the graphics card and looked for any patch
>> files for the games. When I boot up my computer normaly and play A&A I
>> get
>> an error message "thread MAIN caught unhandled exception Access
>> Violation
>> (C0000005) trapped at 1B:913664," and then the program closes. I went
>> into
>> msconfig and rebooted my computer with no other startup programs running,
>> and
>> I was allowed to play A&A a little bit longer, but then my computer
>> reboots.
>> Windows device manager says my card is installed correctly. I unistalled
>> the
>> old graphics driver. I also disabled the option to have two monitors.
>> Could
>> someone please help. Thankyou

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 9:04:01 AM

Hello I have an issue with a game. I play it and it exits out of the game all
the time randomly you never know when it will happen why is this. I also
have to play the game on low graphics settings or it lags, but it still lags
on low. There is a error notification that looks like this. Error signature
AppName: stronghold2.exe
AppVer: 1.2.0.0 ModName: stronghold2.exe
ModVer:1.2.0.0 Offset:0037cb91

I keep sending microsoft an error report but i get no response Please help
Anonymous
December 14, 2008 8:03:37 PM

I had the same problem with Axis and Allies. I SOLVED :bounce:  it by disabling Windows XP data execution protection for Axis and Allies. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700810.asp...

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Under Pick a category, click Performance and Maintenance.
3. Under or Pick a Control Panel icon, click System.
4. Click the Advanced tab.
5. In the Performance area, click Settings and then click Data Execution Prevention.
6. Verify that Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select is selected and then click OK to close Performance Settings.
7. Add Axis and Allies as an exception.
!