Sign in with
Your question

Bottleneck - GPU - CPU - RAM

Last response: in Systems
February 21, 2013 2:58:46 PM

Hi guys

I'm looking for upgrading my system but I don't know where to put my money!
I'm a gamer, BF3, SC2, NS2, D3 are the games I play right now.

Here's my System :
Phenom II x4 955 (not OC)
Sapphire 5770 1GB
2 x 2GB Gskills CL9 1600Mhz
Asus motherboard M4A785TD-V EVO 785G (do not support CF at more than 4x)
60GB SSD agility 3

I don't want to OC anymore my Phenom because I have problems with BF3 when I OC it (maybe not enough stable).

I want more FPS in my games without upgrading all the parts. What is the bottleneck that I have to upgrade? Should I begin only with more RAM? Should I change my CPU (and my motherboard) or the 5770? I don't want a beast (no way for a i7 with a 7970 :p ). I want the best performance/price!

What do you think?

Thanks!

More about : bottleneck gpu cpu ram

a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2013 3:32:55 PM

How much money do you have to work with?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2013 4:10:09 PM

Your best bang for the buck will be a new video card. We will need to know your budget and also what power supply you are running.

4GB of RAM is a bit low, but it is completely fine as long as you are over extending it and your system is using the pagefile (hard drive) to substitute RAM you don't have. A good thing to look at make sure you don't have any apps running in the background or system tray that you aren't using. Things like auto update apps for MS Office or Adobe, things like that.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2013 4:16:22 PM

Get at least 2gb more of that ram and a hd 7850. gpu is bottleneck and a teensy bit more ram would alleviate any issues with that.
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:28:40 PM

I don't really have a budget : it will depend on what I'll upgrade but if I have to change the CG or the GPU, maybe around 200-250$. Ram is cheap, maybe I'll get another 4Gb at the same time, maybe not!
My PSU is a 500W OCZ MODXSTREAM PRO, so I think whatever I choose, I'll be OK with it.
I though changing my CG for a 7850 might bottleneck my cpu...
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:39:06 PM

Your best option to to upgrade your gpu to a 7870 ghz or a gtx 660. You can upgrade your ram if you want, but that won't increase performance by much.
m
l
February 21, 2013 5:19:52 PM

Well upgrading your processor to another AMD based processor would be pointless, because the newer AMD chips require and AM3+ socket. The performance you would gain by switching to a better AM3 CPU would not be worth it. You could switch to an Intel build but that would basically require a complete system rebuild. Start by adding on at least 4GB of RAM. Upgrading your GPU to an 7850 or 7870 would provide you with the larget performance boost. It will be a very big upgrade from a 5770.
m
l
February 21, 2013 5:23:02 PM

yaaa4 said:
I don't really have a budget : it will depend on what I'll upgrade but if I have to change the CG or the GPU, maybe around 200-250$. Ram is cheap, maybe I'll get another 4Gb at the same time, maybe not!
My PSU is a 500W OCZ MODXSTREAM PRO, so I think whatever I choose, I'll be OK with it.

Bottleneck or not you would still get a huge boost in gaming performance with the addition of a 7870 or 7850. You wont get i7 type performance, but it will be much better than what you are experiencing right now.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2013 5:47:39 PM

yaaa4 said:

As the others have said I'd recommend a GTX660 (my choice) or an AMD 7870. On Newegg both of these cards come with free games or credits toward some good play for free games. That alone is a really good deal when bundled with either card. As you said your PSU can handle the upgrade. Also, your CPU will do just fine with either of these cards. If the game is very CPU depending you will see less performance than if you had an i5/i7, but it will be a HUGE jump in graphical performance.

I'd run with 4GB of RAM unless you are really itching for the upgrade. If so, just go right to 8GB. But don't let it take away from your graphics budget. I have 6GB and I rarely use more than 4GB when gaming. Just make sure everything is closed while playing. Browsers are a big RAM waster.
m
l
February 21, 2013 5:53:52 PM

Thanks for the answers!!!
m
l
!